PDA

View Full Version : You're My Lunch - Male Lion

John Lowin
02-13-2009, 12:15 AM
Image created in the Upper Masi Mara. About 6:30 AM, golden morning light and the most intimidating stare I have ever experienced. He stared intently at each of us in turn. Everyone had chills. It was like he was selecting us for a meal. Hope you like my image. This is a slide scan, so no detailed exposure info. This is totally full frame, I am unable to add mane or more bkg. Critique and comments welcome, I'm here to learn. - John.

Nikon F5
Nikkor 500mm f/4 AF-s
Fuji Velvia
Hand Held

Sabyasachi Patra
02-13-2009, 03:00 AM
John,
I agree it is intimidating. The eyes mean business. I would have loved just a vertical of the face. The repost may be considered as an indicator for cropping.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Ken Watkins
02-13-2009, 03:26 AM
John,

You have another good one here. The repost I think is better.

John Lowin
02-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Thanks Sabyasachi and Ken, Your re-crop cleans up the bkg, but I like a little piece of the environment. Otherwise it could be a local zoo shot. Your version makes a nice portrait. Thanks.

Judy Lynn Malloch
02-13-2009, 11:23 AM
Beautiful capture John and you gotta love that incredible stare and excellent detail I like the repost but can see why you posted it as you did. Very lovely capture John !!

John Lowin
02-13-2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks Judy, I appreciate your comments.

Sid Garige
02-13-2009, 11:43 PM
Another vote for vertical crop. Excellent on your face image.

Steve Mandel
02-14-2009, 12:42 AM
I think the crop is too tight and in any case is a somewhat simplistic and formulaic rendition of an otherwise good image. Let me explain my comment.

I like the original environmental shot as too many of our images remove environmental factors so as to make an image fit the accepted "norms". Its almost as if every image has to look like another. Otherwise we crop, remove, and hack away at it so it meets someones understanding of the "the formula".

I understand what makes "good" composition, in that is is pleasing to the eye. But I vote for a bit more leeway in giving images like this one the respect they are due. This is what the photographer saw and shot, its not bad at all. Respect it. Making it conform to a narrow notion of "artistic correctness" is not helpful in my opinion. Of course it could have been cropped in a vertical, but the photographer choose to display it this way. Works for me.

That being said, suggestions on improving images are invaluable and incredibly helpful. I and others have learned quite a bit on this forum from those suggestions. Let's just be thoughtful about trying to box everything in the same package without giving the photographer some respect for their vision of how the image should be presented.

Sorry to rant ;-)). It's done with greatest respect for all on this list.

Steve

Hazel Grant
02-14-2009, 01:09 AM
I can see the arguments for both and would think that the purpose of use is the criteria here. If the purpose is to relive, enjoy the Africa experience, then the first is great. If, perhaps, the photo is being printed in a commercial sense, then the crop might be preferable to grab attention. Just all in what you want to do with it.

John Lowin
02-14-2009, 10:16 AM
Thank you one and all for your insightful comments. I greatly appreciate my learning experience here and realize that I have a long way to go. Thanks again! - John

John Blumenkamp
02-14-2009, 11:54 AM
That stare is sweet! I like seeing both crops... a matter of personal taste I think - either works for me. Nice work.

Sabyasachi Patra
02-16-2009, 03:55 AM
Environmental portrait is an often misunderstood part of wildlife photography. Photographers often mistake any image other than tight head shots as environmental portraits. Environmental portraits capture the delicate linkage of the species with its habitat, other species and micro organisms, climatic conditions etc. I am not sure how this particular image, though very nice, can be construed as an environmental portrait. I would appreciate all help in educating me in this aspect.

I was not trying to follow any formula when I cropped the image. I never do. In wildlife photography it is important to emphasize the most interesting behaviour or aspect. In this image, the eyes were intimidating and it was the highpoint of the image. Hence the crop was made to emphasize the looks. In the original image the mane at the top and bottom is cropped, so I decided to crop the mane from both the sides as well and that added to the stare. In my post, I had mentioned that the repost may be considered as an indication for cropping. Never did I suggest that that is the only way.

I don't think anyone tries to force someone to do things in a particular way. For eg. I don't clone and in this forum there are lots of suggestions for cloning. However, if there is a distracting branch or leaf, I notice it in the field itself and I make it a point to create a pleasing image in the camera if possible. One becomes cautious and feedback and suggestions definitely help. I believe people are always open to refreshing images and perspectives. The purpose of this forum is for learning and I believe peer-to-peer learning is a faster way to improve your photography. I don't think people here just need "great shot", "nice shoot", "best shot of the species I have seen till date" kind of comments. Lots of suggestions will be given, and some of those you may not like. We should examine all the suggestions and pick up those suggestions that suit our kind of photography.

I think the crop is too tight and in any case is a somewhat simplistic and formulaic rendition of an otherwise good image. Let me explain my comment.

I like the original environmental shot as too many of our images remove environmental factors so as to make an image fit the accepted "norms". Its almost as if every image has to look like another. Otherwise we crop, remove, and hack away at it so it meets someones understanding of the "the formula".

I understand what makes "good" composition, in that is is pleasing to the eye. But I vote for a bit more leeway in giving images like this one the respect they are due. This is what the photographer saw and shot, its not bad at all. Respect it. Making it conform to a narrow notion of "artistic correctness" is not helpful in my opinion. Of course it could have been cropped in a vertical, but the photographer choose to display it this way. Works for me.

That being said, suggestions on improving images are invaluable and incredibly helpful. I and others have learned quite a bit on this forum from those suggestions. Let's just be thoughtful about trying to box everything in the same package without giving the photographer some respect for their vision of how the image should be presented.

Sorry to rant ;-)). It's done with greatest respect for all on this list.

Steve

andreawillmore
02-16-2009, 04:45 AM
I prefer the origintal image as I feel the bit of the lion's body creates some depth to the picture. I feel the crop was too tight. I would prefer to see a tiny bit of cropping the right of the picture (half the empty space) to create balance, but not essential. I like the feeling of 'in the bush'.

John Lowin
02-16-2009, 11:20 AM
To one and all who were kind enough to comment, I greatly appreciate the diversity of opinions. One of my most valued Photographic lessons was, "Don't only bracket your exposure, bracket your point of view". Whether that be the location from which you made the capture or your vision of your final image. Be observant and flexible in your approach, So once again, Many Thanks. This is a great, educational web site. - John

Craig Markham
02-24-2009, 03:07 AM
Though there isn't enough BG to call it truly "environmental", the original image gives a much more 3-dimensional feeling. That lion is coming right out of the frame, and I like it that way! The orientation of his body shows that he actively turned to size you up -- he didn't just happen to be heading in your direction, he found you mmmm - interesting. As already mentioned, the crop would be useful for certain applications.

Lisa Giroux
07-05-2009, 08:10 PM
I am not a photographer but I can certainly share what I *feel* when looking at both of those photographs.

In the original, the impression that I had was of an animal deliberately turning to pinpoint prey in those golden eyes. That zeroed-in stare is unmistakeable.

In the cropped version, with the facial expression only, my impression is that the face is wise, Aslan-like. Totally different "emotion" from the second photo.

I like both versions, but the one that rivets me the most is the original. To me it shows the Lion-ness of a lion. That a crop could make such a difference in mood is amazing to me!

Lisa Giroux
Newfoundland, Canada