PDA

View Full Version : Horned lark hiding

Grace Scalzo
02-12-2009, 12:14 PM
This one got separated from his flock and took cover in a little depression. Here he is looking around as he emerged. Trying something different with the crop, your opinions are valued.

f5.6, 1/500, ISO640
Canon 50D, 500mm f4 + 1.4tc, from car as blind.

Fabs Forns
02-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Adorable, Grace, love that feather sticking up the head :)
I like your choice of pano and the pat ch of in focus weeds to the left of the bird, but if you had a bit more room at the bottom, it would balance the composition better IMO.

Axel Hildebrandt
02-12-2009, 12:21 PM
I like the soft light, look-back pose and composition and would probably crop even a bit more off the top. The back plumage looks a bit oversharpened on my monitor.

Grace Scalzo
02-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks, Fabs and Axel. Yes, I do have more room on the bottom, eliminated because it was oof. You still think I should add it, Fabs? Axel, thanks for the remark on sharpening. Been on the computer alot and my eyes are totally fried.

Btw- I think that little feather is why they call them "horned" larks, no?

Fabs Forns
02-12-2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks, Fabs and Axel. Yes, I do have more room on the bottom, eliminated because it was oof. You still think I should add it, Fabs? Axel, thanks for the remark on sharpening. Been on the computer alot and my eyes are totally fried.

Grace. as I see the image, my eye wants a little more grounding. Try and see how it looks. OOF may be OK.

Axel Hildebrandt
02-12-2009, 03:36 PM

Yes, sometimes these little horns are raised. Your image shows it well.

W T Lloyd
02-12-2009, 07:46 PM
Lovely. I, too, am torn when photographing close to the ground - I hate the OOF close ground, and usually want to crop it out closer than is good for the subject.
There's really no fix for that, is there....?

Judy Lynn Malloch
02-12-2009, 08:41 PM
Beautiful Grace with a great pose with it looking back and wonderful detail and eye contact. How exciting it must have been to see this little beauty. Congratulations !!!