PDA

View Full Version : Two Eligible Bachelors, One Hot Chick

John Lowin
02-11-2009, 10:57 PM
Image created at Lake Nakuru, Kenya. It was quite a sight watching the female flamingoes trying to elude the males. We must have seen a hundred thousand flamingoes, both Greaters an Lessers, if not a million. I hope you like this whimsical image. Critiques and comments welcome, I'm here to learn. - John

f/10 - 1/1000 - ISO 400 @ 700mm
Canon EOS 1D MkII
Canon EF 500 1:4 IS USM
Canon Extender EF 1.4X II
Kinesis Gear Safari Sack (Bean Bag)

Nate Chappell
02-12-2009, 12:51 AM
Funny title and image John, I really like the interaction here.

Alfred Forns
02-12-2009, 09:37 AM
Love the expressions !!! Great leg positions for all Might brighten the image a bit and about all that would have helped is cleaner water !!! I like it a lot !!

John Lowin
02-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Thanks Al, Like Canada Geese, these guys lack toilet training and scatter an awful lot of feathers! I appreciate your comments.

Axel Hildebrandt
02-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Great interaction and light, I would sharpen the birds more.

Fabs Forns
02-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Lovely interaction and colors. Agree on more sharpening and I think it need a bit of clockwise rotation. I may be wrong there, but that's what it feels like when I look at it.

John Lowin
02-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Hi Fabs, You are right. I had observed that too and had just pulled a guide down to their walking path and that looked straight, so I let it go. Now when you brought it up again, I pulled a ruler line across the ripples and straightened it with arbitrary rotation and the birds are still upright. You were correct, Thanks, I appreciate that. - John

Steve Maxson
02-12-2009, 08:40 PM
I really like the behavior captured , the colors of the birds, and the pinks in the background. While the bodies of the birds appear sharp, the eyes - especially of the 2 males do not - maybe because I can't see a pupil, just a red glow. You could probably improve that with a little PS work on the eyes.

Glenda Simmons
02-13-2009, 06:29 PM
Besides the minimal technical nits...this is just a great image...like you said, Whimsical. Love the title!