PDA

View Full Version : deliberate crop

Rene Quenneville
02-11-2009, 08:47 PM
I did a tight crop for this picture because I wanted to draw attention to the head and the stuff in the bill. I have a version with the full wing span but I feel that it makes the head too small in the frame. What do you think about croping and cutting portions of wings? Should I clone out the hanging weed?

1/1250s
f/7.1
150mm
ISO400
+1/3 EV

Rene Quenneville
02-11-2009, 08:51 PM
here is the full version of same image. Please let me know which one you prefer.

massimomossi
02-11-2009, 08:54 PM
I think the picture is stunning, and I would NOT crop the weed--it's part of the junk the bird collects for nesting!!

Personally, I find it odd to see a bird "in action" without some context that gives a sense of speed, depth, etc.; so the cropping of the wings seems at first disconcerting because of that. But the look in the eye, the crisp record of the stuff in the bill, and the overall closeness of the bird make up for it.

Bottom line: the wing crop definitely needs a mental adjustment. But to some extent that is what I would like from a picture--some rearranging of my expectations.

Lovely shot. Congratulations!

Massimo

Judy Lynn Malloch
02-11-2009, 09:01 PM
IMO I prefer the second although it is great to see the wonderful eye contact and the branch in the mouth so close. Still for me I prefer the whole capture. Fine work and great timing Rene.

W T Lloyd
02-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Agree, it's lovely - perhaps a head only crop? you might even do the quick mask thing and remove the left wing entirely....
Alternate, pull the crop in on the left wing just past the dark areas.....and pull down and up on the top and bottom.
Again, beautiful picture....

Robert Amoruso
02-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Rene,

I think that if you want the head bigger, you could crop just the back wing and have him entering the frame and leave the room in the front thereby creating a pano.

Blake Shadle
02-11-2009, 11:50 PM
Rene, I love the original! Almost perfect placement in the frame for a full frame image. Nice work. If I were to go with a cropped version, I'd prefer more room off the top, such as I've shown here in the repost I've attached.

Ramon M. Casares
02-12-2009, 08:56 AM
For web use probably the first one, but for a nice large print, defenitely the second one, stunning image with great detail, exposure and colors! Congratualtions!

Axel Hildebrandt
02-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Great capture, I would either go with the full frame and a slight crop for composition or a tight crop showing a bit of the neck, head and far wing.