PDA

View Full Version : Spider ID ?

denise ippolito
02-11-2009, 08:12 AM
Canon 5D
100-400mm
1/60 sec. at f/ 10
iso 400

Shot this while hiking thru the Everglades ,don't know what kind of spider-but I liked it's shape. Didn't have my macro lens w/ me.

Steve Maxson
02-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Hi Denise. I like these little guys too, but don't have any decent images of them. This is a Spiny-backed Orb Weaver (Gasteracantha cancriformis). I like your comp here, but would wish for a bit more light on the front of the spider to bring out the bright red of those spikes.

denise ippolito
02-11-2009, 12:12 PM
Steve, Thanks for the ID. I wish there was more light also-I never shot any spiders before so this is a first-

Gus Cobos
02-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Hi Lady Denise,
I like your composition, image and capture...not bad for your first spider...:D
see if this rendition sits well with you...I boosted the saturation and contrast just a tad...and ran noise reduction in the background...:cool:

Julie Kenward
02-11-2009, 10:34 PM
Nice spider Denise! I think you did very well with the 100-400 (man, do I want that lens!) but would have loved to have also seen a macro version - I bet those red spikes are really something up close and personal!

denise ippolito
02-12-2009, 05:12 AM
Jules, I wish I had my macro lens, I never saw a spider like that. It would have been nice to of gotten a very close look at it!

Mike Moats
02-12-2009, 06:39 AM
Hey Denise, very cool critter I would have never guess it to be a spider. Good job on the details and I think the backgroud has some real nice colors. I think Gus's contrast makes the web pop a little more, but don't care for what it did to the BG, I liked the original BG better as its softer.

Ed Vatza
02-13-2009, 06:33 AM
Very interesting spider, Denise. So much so that I agree that I would have liked to see it up close and personal with a macro image. But I understand that you have to work with what you have with you at the moment.

Have you considered (or do you have) a Canon 500D close-up lens (actually more like a filter). I have one that I take with me when I am shooting with my 70-200 2.8 or 400 5.6 (both 77mm). The 500D does a good job on close-ups in a pinch.

On another note, we were down the North Shore last weekend. Nothing terrible exciting, Closest we saw was a Merlin perched on a rooftop just behind the lighthouse.

denise ippolito
02-13-2009, 07:17 AM
Ed, I don't have that lens but will look into it. Seems whenever I don't bring my macro lens I find something neat.

I'm still in Florida so I haven't been over to the North Shore in weeks -

Ed Vatza
02-13-2009, 07:37 AM
Check it out. Canon calls it a lens but it is really like a filter that is attached to the lens you are using.