PDA

View Full Version : Forum search criteria

Gary Sargent
02-10-2009, 05:08 PM
Can a phrase or multiple "keywords" be used to search forums for relevant threads ? I've tried unsuccessfully several times. It works for a one word search but I can't seem to filter out unwanted results with additional words. Thanks

Chris Ober
02-10-2009, 07:21 PM
It sure can. The MySQL database is fulltext indexed and accepts Boolean and natural language search functions. It does however default to OR instead of AND like most people are used to. You can specify AND or +keyword +keyword to use AND based searching.

Can you give a couple examples on what you were entering for the search parameters and expected output?

Gary Sargent
02-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Example: I would like to search for "sensor cleaning" and only return results where this "phrase" is found, not every instance of "sensor" and/or every instance of "cleaning".

"sensor + cleaning" or "sensor and cleaning" seems to return results of either word being found.

thanks

Daniel Cadieux
02-25-2009, 08:14 PM
Hi Gary, you can try your search in quotations. I tried "sensor cleaning" (including quotation marks) and all the results returned on the first page (only page I verified) contains this "phrase" somewhere within the thread...including this one :-)

Gary Sargent
03-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Doesn't seem to work for me. If I go to the "home page" and type in "sensor cleaning" into the "search" box I get 500 results, the first being titled "Snow Geese" and only the word "cleaning" appears in the thread.
Not sure why I can't get it to work.

Chris Ober
03-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Here's what it shows....

sensor cleaning - 65
sensor and cleaning - 65
sensor +cleaning - 65

sensor not cleaning - 500
sensor - 500
sensor or cleaning - 500
cleaning - 347

"sensor cleaning" - 37

When searching on the "sensor cleaning" In the threads, it highlights the word sensor and cleaning in the thread but if you look, you'll see that there are occurrences of "sensor cleaning" there too, which is what it located.

Gary Sargent
03-11-2009, 04:05 PM
Let me try again.... if I wanted to find the thread titled "The High Sierra", how would I go about doing that without having to wade through every instance of "the", "high" and/or "sierra" ? thanks