PDA

View Full Version : The Thinker

Glenda Simmons
02-09-2009, 09:43 PM
My resident male Eastern Bluebird. I just love the color of these birds. He appears to be in heavy concentration. I'm not certain if the head turn is enough, for most tastes? And is there enough room in the front? I was avoiding cloning a distracting piece of branch, so just cropped the picture there.

Taken with a Canon Rebel XTi and 100-400 at 210mm. It was late evening light. ISO 800, aperture priority 7.1, 1/125, Handheld. No flash.

Marina Scarr
02-09-2009, 10:17 PM
You have an excellent capture here with amazing detail and good head angle. I do think the bird could stand to be a little lighter, and I agree with more room to the right. With the wonderful fluid BG you have here, it shouldn't be too difficult to clone or patch the branch out or to do a QM. You are awfully lucky to have these gorgeous birds in such close proximity.

Jasper Doest
02-10-2009, 05:25 AM
I'm with Marina here that this "thinker" needs some more space to "think into" ;-)

Good effort to get this close...

Melvin Grey
02-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Beautiful light quality here, Glenda. I would like to see just a little more space around it but the plumage detail is superb. I still get amazed at how close you can get to most birds in the US.
Melvin

Rene Quenneville
02-10-2009, 12:27 PM
Head angle is perfect for me. I love the details and colors. The background is a little noisy.

Glenda Simmons
02-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the comments. I'll find the time to clone and add a little space to the right. I did try to reduce the noise, Rene. I don't have a high end camera, and with an ISO of 800, I think I will always have a bit of noise, so I try not to use 800, much. But then agin, I'd rather have the noise than miss the shot. Yes, I am very lucky to have these Bluebirds almost year round and I can get very close to this one particular male. Melvin, this did not happen overnight. He poses for my pictures, in exchange for mealworms and it has taken over two years of almost daily feedings to get this close, but he has claimed my yard as his territory for at least five years now.

Judy Lynn Malloch
02-11-2009, 10:22 AM
One of my favorite species Glennda and I love the excellent detail and color you captured in this image. I agree a little more canvas would strengthen this already lovely image. Great eye contact which really makes it for me.