PDA

View Full Version : Horsetail Falls

Tom Walter
02-09-2009, 05:12 PM
This is another falls in Oregon along the Columbia River, not far from Portland. I tried to frame the falls with the tree which was bathed in the early morning sunlight. I kept the shutter speed between 1/4 and 1/2 sec to get the silky effect with the water.

Nikon D200
Tokina 12-24 F4 DX at 17mm
Tripod
1/3 sec at f16
ISO 100
<O:p</O:p

Robert Amoruso
02-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Well done Tom. You handled the broad contrast well including the dappled light on the tree. Would going a bit wider allowed you to include more canopy of that tree to frame the falls.

Just the right shutter speed too, falls looks great. Looks of detail in the rocks and the deep rich green foliage. I suggest you light the lower left corner some to even out the tonality of the image.

Roman Kurywczak
02-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Hi Tom,
I think you handled the light well......but I'm not a huge fan of the dappled light. For me.....it takes the eyes away from the falls too much.......and that is the focal point. For me the tree detracts more than adds.....but we'll see what others chime in. I do like the SS you chose and the light on the falls and the rocks. Agree with Robert on a slight lightening of the LL corner.

Robert Amoruso
02-10-2009, 06:35 AM
Roman, brings up a good point, opening up the thread again my eye goes first to the dappled light on the tree which is NOT what you want. It the tree was in shade it would be a much stronger frame.