PDA

View Full Version : Northern Hawk Owl

Doug Hitchcox
02-09-2009, 01:55 PM
It was a treat to have one of these bird show up in my hometown... except I go to school 160 miles away! This guy was nice enough to hang around and was very cooperative for me but has evaded most birders... pays to know the area well. He spent most of the time sitting on a telephone pole (not very attractive) but would make several hunting attempts. For a sunny day he only flew when it was very overcast so focusing was brutal and this was the best shot to come out. NO BAIT USED, just persistence and knowing the subject.

Camera: Canon EOS 30D
Lens: Canon EF 100-400mm
Aperture: f/5.6
Shutter Speed: 1/1600
Exposure Bias: +0.7ev
ISO: 400
Focal Length: 370mm (whoops)
Cropped, Handheld

Robert Amoruso
02-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Hi Doug and thanks for posting.

Killer looking owl - and you got some great eye contact. The preferred wing position is all the way down or up. so when the bird is coming at you and it enters the "zone", I will make at least three or four rapid images in hopes of getting the right wing position. The zone would be in the best light (front lite generally) and as the bird is flying towards you. Once he gets even with you, stop shooting.

The eye contact here really helps you offset the wing position to some degree. I cropped and posted your image as I could not easily explain how to crop it.

The image makes a great pano. I left more room below as it looks like he is dropping. If we was flying up - more room up. I left more room in front for him to fly into - generally 2 times the room left in the rear as a minimum but more if the bird looks like it is moving fast. Behind, what looks good and does not crowd the bird. Again this is a guideline and NOT a rule.

I also sharpened the image on a BG copy using USM: 1 time at 175/0.3/0 and 2 times at 125/0.2/0.

Axel Hildebrandt
02-09-2009, 10:53 PM
Great to see one in flight. Robert's repost addresses the most important issues. I might raise the color temperature, I see a slight blue cast on my monitor.

Doug Hitchcox
02-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Thanks guys, I was very curious to see what opinions would be for a crop. The original had a strong blue cast (result of low light and snow) but I'll try pushing it a little warmer. As for wing position, this was the only shot to come out sharp enough but I have some great angles/positions that are blurry, haha. I hope to get back when there is better light and perfect it.
Thanks again!