PDA

View Full Version : Beaver

Mike Milicia
02-09-2009, 01:12 PM
EOS-1D Mk III, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS (at 155mm), 1/640, f/4, ISO 400
About 60% of Full Frame
Hand held

Photographed this past weekend at Ipswich River Wildlife Sanctuary in Topsfield, MA.

There were two beavers actively feeding and paying absolutely no attention to the continuous
crowd of observers. They would find some branches and then carry them back to a spot only a
few feet off of the trail where there was a hole in the ice. They would then sit next to the hole
and feed on the branches. This went on for most of the afternoon. It was very difficult to get
a clear view without branches in the way. Several branches were removed from the foreground and
background of this image but, fortunately, only one branch was crossing in front of the beaver.

Looking forward to your comments and critiques !

Robert Amoruso
02-09-2009, 07:46 PM
Hi Mike, nice to see you posting here.

I like the high-key look on the snow. I also like that you left a few of the branches right above you name. Adds some additional visual interest that for me helps to anchor the beaver on the almost all white BG.

Getting the branch in the mouth a real plus. Your mid-tones in the beaver look great - lots of detail.

Steve Canuel
02-09-2009, 10:51 PM
Nice detail in that fur. A rare sight to see them this exposed.

Bob Malbon
02-10-2009, 09:43 AM
Mike, I would take out the branches in the bottom right to complete the high-key effect. But either way nice capture! Bob

Sabyasachi Patra
02-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Mike,
This is nice. Lot of details in the image. As Robert has pointed out - artistic touch near your signature - the sticks look nice.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi