f 3.2
1/640
manual
ISO 200
beanbag support

Robert Amoruso
02-09-2009, 08:25 AM
John,

I like the regal look the guy has - the expression on his face. Even though we is turned such that the face is in shade, there is plenty of detail so that looks AOK to me. BG is very even and defused so not distraction though I wish the dark branch on the left was not there. If moving was an option for you, would have been way to go.

I do wish however, that the feet were not obscured by the brush.

All in all a pleasing image of this handsome waterbuck. Thanks for posting.

Jasper Doest
02-09-2009, 11:14 AM
As Robert clearly explained this is a very pleasing photograph of a waterbuck...and while I agree about the bush it is not a biggy for me. However, this image would have been so much better if the eye would have been visible.

Sabyasachi Patra
02-09-2009, 11:34 AM
John,
I like the composition, soft light, low angle and the details in the image. I agree that it would have been better without the dark branch in the BG, but it is ok for me. Eye contact would have been better, but I like the mood in this image. I am not so worried about the bushes at the bottom as the kind of frame the image, despite hiding the lower parts of the leg. Overall, I like this image.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

denise ippolito
02-09-2009, 09:15 PM
John, I like the soft light and the soft color tones they work together well. Composition is lovely!

Steve Canuel
02-09-2009, 10:45 PM
I really like this one. A handsome animal with nice light, colors, and sharpness. Being picky, I'd remove the dark branch in the BG (only because the rest of it is so similarly colored/textured). I might also slightly blur the grasses on the ground in the same focal plane as the animal (again only because of the difference with the rest of the grass/BG).

Ken Watkins
02-11-2009, 09:20 AM
John,

Before I commented I looked at my Waterbuck pictures and found that of all those I have taken I have one where you can see all of the legs. It is extremely difficult in the bush to get everything showing!
I like the soft muted colours of this, can I suggest that you try a closer crop and cut out the legs at just below the knees so that concentration is more focused on the head.