PDA

View Full Version : Long-tailed Duck (male)

Bob Malbon
02-08-2009, 07:01 PM
Long-tailed Duck in Winter plumage spend the frozen months along the coast of Maine. Most of the time it is hard to get close to them. Once in a while the stars align and they swim/feed in my direction. 1DMk3 on 500 f4 hand held at 1/1250 at f7.1 at iso 400, manual exposure and AIservo. Bob

http://bob-malbon-photo.smugmug.com/photos/470041568_nHMDj-L.jpg

John Chardine
02-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Bob- this is super. As you say, you don't often see this species a close as this. Fantastic DoF to get the head to the tip of the long tail in focus. Love the head turn, the eye and the beautiful back feathers. The riffling water behind the bird adds a lot. The only thing I would say is that some more room at the top may be beneficial and exchange for cropping out the OOF water at the bottom.

Lyall Bouchard
02-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Very nice! We see these in Nova Scotia as well, but I've never been able to get anywhere near enough to get a decent shot. I like the head turn, showing off the "cotton-y" look of the feathers, and the movement of the water is a real bonus.

Grace Scalzo
02-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Bob, this is a beautiful image of a beautiful duck. I have never been able to get such a nice close up as you have here. The critical focus to me looks like it on the back, I might try and sharpen the head a bit more. The eye is wonderful. Composition is so personal that I am reluctant to comment, but to my taste, I'd like the duck positioned lower in the frame with more room above and a smidge more on the right. Love the water push out in front of him and the droplets are a nice bit of added interest.

Rene Quenneville
02-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Wow! Great image. I agree with John and woud remove canvas at the botom (about half) and add some head room.

Arthur Morris
02-09-2009, 01:03 PM
Everyone above stole my critique word for word <smile> Question: how big a crop? Biggest need? More room at the top. The bird does look soft and sweet.

Doug Hitchcox
02-09-2009, 02:25 PM
I can't say I would ever like a shot of a duck swimming away from you but that 'look back' and those awesome looking scapulars really make this image. I agree with the above composition suggestions. Also great job on the exposure, I blow out the whites on this bird frequently

Bob Malbon
02-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Guys, I see the issues you have mentioned and will work on them - thanks.
Doug, Yes I hate those going away captures (Have deleted thousands) but as you say the look makes it work for me. This guy came up from a dive about 20 feet away and as you know 20' is not where a LTD likes to be from people after 2 1/2 months of hunting season! Off to the NHO! Bob

Juan Aragonés
02-11-2009, 09:19 AM
Bob, if this is a crop I think that you could go for a different croping, adding more room at the top and/or at the left because the duck looks a bit tight in the frame. Love the light, angle and head turn with such a nice eye contact. It seems to me that the critical focus point is on the back instead of the eye so it would be great if you add more selective sharpening to the eye. Very good job!

Bob Malbon
02-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Group, Again thanks. Here is a re-crop and a sharper eye. I feel the crop now works much better. Bob

http://bob-malbon-photo.smugmug.com/photos/471815057_2Q9X2-L.jpg