PDA

View Full Version : Curly, Larry and Moe

John Chardine
02-08-2009, 06:54 PM
These Bald Eagles were not actually in a team. Rather they were competing for food at an eagle feeding station near Sheffield Mills, Nova Scotia. The bird in front was protecting some chicken meat from the other two.

The local community has an Eagle Festival in late January/February and it attracts a lot of people. It has to be a good thing when birds and the outdoors bring families and friends together like this.

The photographic opportunities are fantastic at this location and for me it cost a lot less than a ticket to Alaska! More to come but thought I'd start with this study of three birds.

Cropped to about 1/4 of original area, selectively sharpened and ran NR.

Canon EOS 50D. 500mm f4 x 1.4 tcII = 700mm
capture date: Saturday, 7 February, 2009 10:34 AM
exposure program: Manual- BG was either snow or brown trees and birds were very mobile so exposed for whites in manual mode
ISO speed: 400
shutter speed: 1/3200
aperture: f6.3
exposure bias: +0.0
metering: Pattern
flash: OFF

Bob Malbon
02-08-2009, 07:03 PM
John, I can only say: Love it!! Bob

Axel Hildebrandt
02-08-2009, 08:41 PM
I like the composition, exposure control and details. Are these rehabbed birds?

John Chardine
02-08-2009, 08:45 PM
No Axel. All wild. Our Bald Eagle populations are pretty large in eastern Canada. You would not have to work hard to see an eagle a day here. A quick count around the field where they were being fed at Sheffield Mills came to 60-70 birds.

Marc Oliver
02-08-2009, 11:34 PM
Great work, John! Any chance of seeing the whole frame? If it's the bird I think it is, he was putting on quite the display. It was great meeting you, Clarence and seeing Richard (Stern) again!

cheers,
Oliver

Ramon M. Casares
02-09-2009, 10:01 AM
This one is just great! Love it! great exposure control, great comp and light, I might try some more NR in the two bird from the BG. Congratulations!

Arthur Morris
02-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Wll done JC. Love the orientation of the three heads and you did well with head angle on the front bird with a less than ideal sun angle. It's a good thing that the criminals in Canada are staying out of Homer. Are there opps for flight photography? Are there rules against others feeding? What were the temps like?

John Chardine
02-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Wll done JC. Love the orientation of the three heads and you did well with head angle on the front bird with a less than ideal sun angle. It's a good thing that the criminals in Canada are staying out of Homer. Are there opps for flight photography? Are there rules against others feeding? What were the temps like?

Many thanks for all comments.

Artie- it is a fantastic place for photographing eagles. Quick collage attached gives flavour. I think the answer to BIF opportunities is affirmative.

We provided some extra food yesterday and there was no problem. Local farmers feed dead chickens from their farms. Temps can be anything from -25°C (= **** cold°F) to on the plus side. Yesterday it was about -2° C = 30°F, so very pleasant. I'll email with more detail.

Ramon M. Casares
02-09-2009, 12:53 PM
God, it is one of my dreams to be able to photograph these magnificent birds... I envy you!!!

John Chardine
02-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Ramon- Entonces, tienes que venir al Canada! Tenemos una casa y cama para ti.

Paul Lagasi
02-09-2009, 02:34 PM
John, Great place, with family in Berwick been there a few times...best thing about the area is all road kill deer are brought there...nice collage all, love the top right...Moe has a wild look to him...Paul

PS..one thing there's lots of is chicken farms....

Ramon M. Casares
02-09-2009, 03:04 PM
John! Don´t tell mi twice cause I´ll have no choice but to go! :) I´ve been to Canada a while ago to study English in Vancouver and loved it! I would go back anytime specially to photograph these wonderfull eagles! Thank you so much!

Juan Aragonés
02-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Very good job John, you managed the exposure very nicely and I like the composition a lot. The stare of the guy in the FG is really impressive. Keep them coming

PS. BTW, the images in the collage looks really good!