PDA

View Full Version : Popping An Image In Camera Raw

Julie Kenward
02-08-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm having trouble remembering how to do a tutorial on here so I'll just fake it as best I can!

I saw this technique for processing RAW images in Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) that looked really interesting so I gave it a try on a couple of different images.

1. To get started, you open the RAW image in ACR & then pump up the "fill light" slider all the way to the right - somewhere between 75-98on the sliding scale, depending on the image. It will look really washed out at this point - but don't panic!
2. Next, take the "black" slider and start scooting it to the right until all the colors and lines begin to pop. I've found that it can end up anywhere between half the amount of the fill light slider all the way up to just below the fill light slider depending on the image. You will see something that almost looks like an HDR image if you get the right mix.
3. You'll probably then have to adjust the contrast & saturation levels because some of these can really get out of hand after adding the black at high levels - but do it slowly and continue to play with the fill light and black sliders as you do to see what combination works best.
4. This technique seems to work best on images with lots of bright colors - if the image has a lot of midtones or grays it's probably not going to work well.

Here's my beginning image:

Julie Kenward
02-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Here it is with the 'fill light' slider moved up to 90:

Julie Kenward
02-08-2009, 05:57 PM
And here it is with the black slider slid up to 45. Can you see how it pops the colors and adds a real crispness to the image?

Julie Kenward
02-08-2009, 06:03 PM
And here's the final with a crop, some CW rotation, a slight reduction of saturation and a boost in high tones in levels. I wasn't going for perfect here - just trying to show what was possible with this kind of processing.

denise ippolito
02-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Julie, It really does pop the image!

Dave Woeller
02-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Thanks for sharing this techinique Julie. I always love to try something new. You're right in that the image really sings.

Jackie Schuknecht
02-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Great tutorial Julie, the colours look really rich afterwards. Seems to give it good depth too.

Gus Cobos
02-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Way to go Julie,
Nicely done...:cool: