PDA

View Full Version : I think he is laughing at me.

Cheryl Flory
02-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Canon 40D
Sigma 50-500
137mm
1/1600
f7.1
ISO 640
EC +.67

I got this image last week, and I really think this tiny red squirrel was having fun watching me trying to get its photo. I should have zoomed in much much more since this was a heavy crop, but I got this shot off first while I could. While I was then zooming in for the next shot, he took off, as is their habit. I would have preferred that he posed in a less cluttered spot, but he didn't. So I am pretending that all these twigs are drawing your eye in to the subject. All in all, I am amazing he did pose as long as he did, facing the sun, at the edge of the path so there were no twigs in front of him. I think this crop is a bit tight, but the large bg branch on the left side abruptly stops at that point, and it looked kind of strange when giving more room in the image.

I would love to hear your comments and critiques!

It was an awesome afternoon in the woods where I saw many new things, and even getting several photos I like, including this, my favorite image of a red squirrel.

Gail Spitler
02-08-2009, 10:30 AM
I think the squirrel is smiling - how cool is that. Squirrel position, exposure, sharpness look right on in this monitor. Sorry about the clutter --- I know the frustration.
Cheers
Gail

Alfred Forns
02-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Hi Cheryl ... I think he is laughing ... got me on a cluttered perch !!!! :)

It is a challenge to capture one of these little guys, besides the bg you have mixed light and very little of it !!! Sure wish you could have zoom tighter. I've had a dilemma for some time .... which is best taking the record shot or going for the best. In this case is zooming in others is moving into sun angle before making the first image. Have settled on going to the best and not worrying about if I miss it !!!

Christopher Miller
02-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Love this! Too bad about the BG clutter, but the cute pose more than makes up for that! Looks to me like he's smiling for the camera!

Lance Peters
02-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Hi Cheryl - agree with AL on the techs - I would evict the stick coming up out of his rear - think this would improve it somewhat.

:)

Cheryl Flory
02-08-2009, 03:18 PM
I agree, Lance. But I don't know how to remove the stick and still retain the tail hairs.

Harold Davis
02-08-2009, 03:19 PM
cool looking squirrel and a nice pose too! too bad about the bg. it held up to the crop fairly well!

Gus Cobos
02-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Hi Cheryl,
Very good advise given by both Mr. Forns and Mr. Peters...I recommendation is to watch your background and the light...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Oscar Zangroniz
02-08-2009, 05:29 PM
I also agree that the pose and smile more than makes up for the background.
Congrats

Nonda Surratt
02-08-2009, 05:45 PM
Of course the squirrel is laughing at you Cheryl;)

My thoughts, I would have not cropped 'quite' so much, scenes are fine, honest the BG can be cleaned up a bit and the stick by the tail removed. Now that you have CS4 do get the APTATS-1 CD off of Arties website, you can then fix tail and it will make it much easier to clean up BGs if necessary.

The pose is adorable!!!!!

I would also use evaluative metering rather than spot, if you are still using that. In another post Alfred talkes about how hard spot is to use.

Good job on a tough squirrel

Here is a quick stick/tail fix using the techniques shown on the CD..You can do it!!

Cheryl Flory
02-08-2009, 05:57 PM
LOL, yes, we do provide entertainment for squirrels, sometimes, don't we......

Wow, excellent job, Nonda! thanks.
I had switched to evaluative metering before this time, I think.

Jeni Williams
02-08-2009, 11:43 PM
Really cute! Amazing how often we can only get a shot amongst bg clutter - almost as if it it's deliberate! I do like the sunlight on his coat.