PDA

View Full Version : I Like Getting Up Early...

Arthur Morris
02-07-2009, 08:22 PM
This image was created south of St. Petersburg, FL about 30 minutes before sunrise as the color started to fade. This Brown Pelican image was created with the 800mm f/5.6 L IS lens and the EOS-50D on the Mongoose M3.5 atop the Gitzo 3530 LS.

ISO 400. Evaluative metering at zero: 1/80 sec. at f/5.6. White balance = K7000.

By trial and error I have learned that when raising the color temp to enhance the pre-dawn colors you are in grave danger of over-exposing the RED channel if you add light to your exposures as you would do ordinarily...

This bird would just not give up the perfect head angle....

Don't be shy; all comments welcome. I am here to learn too.

ps: South of St. Petersburg, FL

Axel Hildebrandt
02-07-2009, 08:28 PM
It certainly looks that way. :) I really like the composition, colors and the ripples make it even better.

Rene Quenneville
02-07-2009, 08:43 PM
Outstanding colors. The ripples add a lot to the composition. Very well done.

John Blumenkamp
02-07-2009, 08:51 PM
A great silhouette of this pelican Artie... I really love the colors, and the ripples give a nice texture over the entire image in my opinion. It may have been nice if the pelican had lifted it's head slightly to separate it's bill from the water, but that is minor. I like your composition and where you've placed the bird in the frame.

Leo Berzins
02-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Lovely composition and colors. One question, though: what caused the regular ripples on an otherwise smooth surface?

David Thomasson
02-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Lovely composition and colors. One question, though: what caused the regular ripples on an otherwise smooth surface?

My guess is they aren't ripples but gentle undulations some distance apart, foreshortened by that 800mm lens.

Art Kornienko
02-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Colours are to die for, agree with David, don't think they are ripples, nice to know the WB and like the way the reflection tops the undulations, quite a soothing and calming picture showing the true beauty of nature, and really shows the importance of setting up for a great shot. Congrats Artie, its a beauty.

Arthur Morris
02-08-2009, 07:44 AM

Thanks gang for your kind comments. Leo, the ripples were just little wavelets caused by a gentle east breeze.

Layton E Parham
02-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Even though he is looking away, the beautiful open water is his destination. All natural.

Doug Hitchcox
02-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Amazing picture Artie, you are really mastering these shots.
So I know that you check the red channels by looking at the RGB Histogram if only the reds are overexposed do you only focus on them and not worry about the other levels since they are not essential for the picture? I have never tried this method so maybe trial and error is the easiest way to learn... any help is appreciated

Manjeet & Yograj Jadeja
02-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Awesome use of Early morning light,
the color, reflection and composition are perfect (as in most of ur shots)

Ákos Lumnitzer
02-08-2009, 04:33 PM
Hi Artie

Awesome colors and well placed in frame. :) The head angle..... shake head. ;) While not perfect, I can still see it is a Pelican.

Arthur Morris
02-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Amazing picture Artie, you are really mastering these shots.
So I know that you check the red channels by looking at the RGB Histogram if only the reds are overexposed do you only focus on them and not worry about the other levels since they are not essential for the picture? I have never tried this method so maybe trial and error is the easiest way to learn... any help is appreciated

Yes Doug. I use the RGB histogram and check carefully to see that the RED channel is not clipped. Here is the nasty part: if the red channel is badly clipped but the other two are in the middle there will not be any flashing highlights.

I have been begging Canon for years to no avail to put a light line around the histogram box....

Ramon M. Casares
02-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Great, just great, no nits, I will just keep enjoying this wonderfull shot! Congratualtions Artie!