PDA

View Full Version : Bald Eagle

Richard Stern
02-07-2009, 06:59 PM
I took many images of Bald eagles today at the annual Sheffield Mills Eagle festival here in Nova Scotia. I have been very leery about posting images of this species, as there have been so many superb ones, so what could I possibly add? Furthermore, there were some pretty impressive photographers there today, with some pretty impressive-looking gear, including a moderator on BPN (John Chardine), whom I was delighted to meet in person, and what a delightful person! Anyway, I decided I would post the one picture that pleased me the most, and in the long run that's really what matters, isn't it? I thought this one captured the determined look of this sub-adult bird.

D300, Nikon 80-400 at 400mm., hand-held, ISO800, EV+1/3, 1/2000 at f9.0.

Richard

Arthur Morris
02-07-2009, 08:10 PM
This one pleases me too. Glad that you decided to share. Love the sharpness, the look, the great underwing detail, and the wing position. The sky looks a bit CYAN funky.

Axel Hildebrandt
02-07-2009, 08:15 PM
I think there are plenty of reasons to post images of a species that has been photographed and posted often before. In this one I like the pose, composition and eye contact and agree with Artie regarding the color of the sky.

John Blumenkamp
02-07-2009, 08:55 PM
I'll never tire of viewing (or trying to create) eagle images, so keep 'em coming. I really like the wing position you've captured here, and your composition/crop. Hope you share more.

david cramer
02-08-2009, 10:19 AM
A great pose. I agree about the sky color, and there are some minor halos that may be from oversharpening.

John Chardine
02-09-2009, 09:19 AM
Richard- It was a pleasure to meet you yesterday! We had the makings of a BPN get-together with four contributors/members together in one place!

Love the "pose" of the bird, particularly the wings and head, and the composition. There's a peculiar "bleeding" effect around the edge of the bird. Not sure what it is caused by. Agree that a little less sharpening may be in order. Also you may be able to reduce the contrast a bit with a reverse S-curve in Curves.