PDA

View Full Version : Short-billed Dowitcher

Blake Shadle
02-07-2009, 03:38 PM
I had the opportunity to go out to Ft. Desoto this morning. We had great light. It was a little slow, but what was there made for great images. I had my knees and elbows hand holding my camera over the water is water that was close to 55 degrees. :eek: Also had the pleasure of making a few images with Linda Robbins :)

Shooting Solution
Nikon D300 | Sigma 500mm f/4.5 + 1.4x TC (700mm) | Manual focus
Manual Exposure | 1/1600 @ f/6.3 | ISO 400 | Hand held over the water

All comments welcome and appreciated.

Thanks for looking :)

Jon Thornton
02-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Great low angle and lovely warm light. I think it needs to be rotated CCW by 1/2 a degree.

PS. It was 118 degrees here in Melbourne Australia yesterday. Way too hot for bird photography.

Gyorgy Szimuly
02-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Those images will make me survive for sure.
I love its calmness and lovely lights.

Szimi

Axel Hildebrandt
02-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Great mood, light, angle and details. I would only remove the sheen on the tip of the bill.

Ed Prete
02-07-2009, 11:12 PM
the minor nits mentioned but a superb image Blake.

Arthur Morris
02-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Soft light, great perspective (I know that stay dry posture well--it is great for the back-NOT!), and a lovely shorebird. The tiny grasses add interest.

Who is this Linda Robbins person???

allanrube
02-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Blake, your image shows the value of getting really low. I was out there yesterday - after you bravely got wet I followed. However, I just splayed the legs of my tripod and my camera was about 2 feet off the ground. Normally, I think this is low, but I have a lot more junk showing in the water than you image.

Philip Pietri
02-08-2009, 06:13 PM
Ah yes...it's been a while since you've dropped one of those low perspective shots on us. The wait was well worth it - excellent shot. Sharp, well exposed and I like the pose. Awesome feather detail and all that jazz. Great job and I can't wait till next weekend.

Blake Shadle
02-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Blake, your image shows the value of getting really low. I was out there yesterday - after you bravely got wet I followed. However, I just splayed the legs of my tripod and my camera was about 2 feet off the ground. Normally, I think this is low, but I have a lot more junk showing in the water than you image.

Hi Alan,

It was good meeting you. There's a special intamacy you can create when you get down as low as I was. You can also get rid of a bunch of stuff floating in the water :D

Thanks, and I hope to see you out in the field,

Blake

Ramon M. Casares
02-09-2009, 07:08 AM
Great shot! Pose, light, comp, detail, exposure, BG, ambient, color, all looks preety stunning to me! Congratualitons!

Blake Shadle
02-09-2009, 06:17 PM
Soft light, great perspective (I know that stay dry posture well--it is great for the back-NOT!), and a lovely shorebird. The tiny grasses add interest.

Who is this Linda Robbins person???

I'm not sure if you know her. Extremely talented, great personality. Wait a second. You were there! :)

Adams Serra
02-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Hi Blake,
nice to see you posting again, you got me hooked on low angle images like this last year when i joined BPN and saw the images you were posting.

Adams

Blake Shadle
02-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Hi Blake,
nice to see you posting again, you got me hooked on low angle images like this last year when i joined BPN and saw the images you were posting.

Adams

Adams, thanks for the comment. I've really been enjoying your images. Keep up the great work.