PDA

View Full Version : Nsumo Sunset with Hippos

David Steele
01-23-2008, 02:53 PM
Nsumo Pan at sunset, with a group of hippos providing some balance. This was taken in Mkuzi Game Reserve in South Africa

Camera: Canon 1Ds MkII.
Canon: 70-200 mm f2.8 L at 80 mm.
1/250 sec, f5.6, ISO 200.

David Kennedy
01-23-2008, 10:07 PM
David,
This is a very appealing, subtle, soft image. You've clearly followed the ROT, and the subject certainly lends itself to a pano crop. I'm not really sure if the hippos add anything to the image--I think the might actually take away somewhat from the otherwise smooth landscape. My opinion might be different if they were larger in the frame. Nice image!

Robert Amoruso
01-27-2008, 06:44 AM
I would have to agree with David here, the hippos being so small inthe frame are not realy recongnizable. I would clone them out and crop some off the bottom to accentuate the land, mountains and sky more. A very serene image that lends itself to a pano framing. nice eye to see the possibilities here.

John Cooper
01-31-2008, 06:27 AM
Hi David, This is a very pleasent scene that you would hang on the wall!. The hippos would have been a distraction if they were on the right side, but in the subdued light on the left I don't find them a problem.

Robert O'Toole
02-22-2008, 11:32 AM
Nsumo Pan at sunset, with a group of hippos providing some balance. This was taken in Mkuzi Game Reserve in South Africa

Camera: Canon 1Ds MkII.
Canon: 70-200 mm f2.8 L at 80 mm.
1/250 sec, f5.6, ISO 200.

David, Beautiful, the hippos really enhance the image, without them the image could be just another good sunset anywhere in the world. One reason they work for me is I can look and see details in the heads. If they were just black unrecognizable bumps it would be a different story.

Thanks for posting.

Robert