PDA

View Full Version : Gatorland Rookery Update - February 2009

Mike Godwin
02-06-2009, 02:50 PM
http://gatorland.com/blogs/rookery/files/2009/02/20509-1.jpg

The 2009 Birding Season has officially begun at Gatorland, and despite the rather frigid conditions the past several days the bird activity is steadily increasing. As of today, we have over 30 Great Egret nests constructed, many of which already contain eggs. Snowy Egret, Wood Stork, and Anhinga courtship activity has also increased, but at this time the only nesting species are the Great Egret and Double Crested Cormorants. Walking around the boardwalk this morning I spotted the following birds:

Tri-colored Heron
Wood Stork
Black Crowned Night Heron
White Ibis
Great Blue Heron
Little Blue Heron
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Cattle Egret
Cormorant
Assorted Songbirds such as Grackals, Cardinals, Sparrows, Wrens and Titmouse

While there were no Spoonbills present this morning, they have been coming in and out for the past several weeks. Here's a shot of one of the Spoonie youngsters posing for the camera!

http://gatorland.com/blogs/rookery/files/2009/01/10909_1.jpg

Extended hours for the Rookery are now in effect every Wednesday - Sunday through June 28. As a reminder, our "Dawn to Dusk" program allows for entry at 7:30am (please be prompt as the gates do not remain open) and the opportunity to stay until dusk. Early entry is through the Event Gate located in the far south parking lot (look for the cream colored tent top). For those wishing to take part in the Dusk access, we ask that you arrive no later than 30 minutes before normal closing time (currently 5:00pm). Late entry is through the Main Entrance to Gatorland, and while we exit through the south end, we do provide shuttle service for photographers and their gear back to the main parking areas.

Stay tuned for more updates, and don't forget, you can always check the activity in the Sanctuary by visiting our Gatorcam at: http://gatorland.com/gatorcam.php

Mike Godwin
Gatorland

Mike Godwin
02-07-2009, 12:17 AM
Gee... looks like you didn't have to stay tuned for long as I have a few quick updates to report. Tonight we had a report of Gatorland's first Great Egret chicks of 2009. And wouldn't you know... the report came from a BPN member who made his first visit out to the park today! Chicks already... Cool stuff!!!

While I reported earlier no Spoonbills in the morning, they showed up this evening and settled in to roost, but not before flying around and posing for everyone. A juvenile Bald Eagle also dropped by for a spell, he's been hanging around Gatorland's airspace with the buzzards for about a year now, but this is the first time I got a chance to see him fairly close and perched. We also have a pair of Hawks with a nest in the Swamp Walk, no reports of chicks at this time. The Night Herons were out in force this evening, and a small flock of Glossy Ibis came into roost. Hundreds of White Ibis arrive in seperate flocks of 20 or more, as well as increasing numbers of Little Blues, Snowies, and Cattle Egrets. By sundown, I would estimate close to 1,000 birds are within the Rookery. Gatorland will be participating in the Great Backyard Bird count at then end of this month, so I'll have some firm numbers to post at that time.

Have a Great Weekend!

Mike Godwin
Gatorland

Judd Patterson
02-08-2009, 06:33 PM
Hey Mike, I sure do appreciate the updates. It's nice to hear that Great Egret chicks are now hatching...and that so many other species are putting on great shows. I look forward to hearing the results of the Great Backyard Bird count...that should be fun to read!

I'll be up to Orlando for some training later this month, so I'll be sure to stop in and say hi!

Adams Serra
02-13-2009, 09:24 AM
Hi Mike,
I will be driving to Orlando today. Looking forward to see you there tomorrow.

Adams

Adams Serra
02-17-2009, 08:23 PM
MIke,
I had a great time at Gatorland over the weekend.
Thank you again.
Looking forward to go back soon.
Adams

Mike Godwin
02-17-2009, 08:41 PM
Hi Judd - Thanks, we'll see you at the end of the month! Remember, Rookery is open for extended hours every Wednesday - Sunday.

Adams - Was great to have you out to the park, hope you can convince the wife to let you come back soon! :)

Here's a quick update to what's happening at Gatorland.

The Great Egrets are going gangbusters, with constant courtship dispkays and nest building. So far, we have 3 Great Egret nests with chicks, with more on the way. The Anhingas are now in full courtship and nest building mode, with at least 4 nests completed. The Snowy Egrets have also entered courtship, and will probably start nesting this week. Little Blue Herons and Tricoloreds are incresing in numbers at the nightly fly-in, but have not started courting yet. The Wood Storks are plentiful, but have not settled into nesting yet. Should be almost any day for them...

We have been having a flock of 5 Spoonbills coming in nightly to roost, and a pair of Barred Owls have been courting at the South End of the Rookery. A young Hawk has also been hanging around the Rookery, and their is a nest of Red Shouldered Hawks in the Swamp Walk. Our new White Gator exhibit opened this past weekend, and the park has been rather busy with lots of locals taking advantage of our Florida Resident Special. Things are certainly happening at Gatorland right now... and it's just going to keep getting better!

Robert Amoruso
02-25-2009, 11:47 PM
Gatorland is really cooking this month. One thing I have started to do there is bird panos like this one posted here. I created the image of the bird first and then the reflection. Stitched them in Photoshop. Note the stork cocked his head from image one to image two. He then moved before I could get his rear end.

Having photopgrahed there extensively in 2008 and starting up again a few days after Mike open up the photo pass hours in 2009, I am very familiar with the ins and outs of photographing at Gatorland including the areas not frequented by others. See more about my workshops at Gatorland at http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29451.

Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 600mm
1/1000 sec, f/6.3
Manual, Evaluative Metering
ISO: 800
Flash: On