PDA

View Full Version : Sand Dunes in the Empty Quarter II

David Steele
01-23-2008, 01:37 PM
Following the interest in the original 'Sand Dunes in the Empty Quarter' I've decided to post this image. I did try it in black and white (al la Thesiger) but it lost a lot! I hope you enjoy this one and look forward to your observations.

Camera: Canon 1Ds Mk II.
Lens: Canon 70-200 mm f2.8 L.
140 mm, 1/40 sec, f22, ISO 100, mirror locked up.

John Cooper
01-23-2008, 05:30 PM
Excellent graphic design achieved here David - you certainly have an eye for patterns. There must be lots of oportunities for sand-dune landscapes in your part of the world!! I like this one as much as the previous one posted.

David Kennedy
01-23-2008, 05:51 PM
David,
My only thought with this one is that it feels a little "centered" to me. All of the peaks and major lines are in the center (horizontally--not the actual center ) throughout the image. Panning to the left just a little bit would have solved this issue. The leading lines and colors are great, and I especially like the foreground and then the "foot hill" in the lower third that provides a sense of depth with the background dunes.

D. Robert Franz
01-23-2008, 06:25 PM
A beautiful dunescape for sure.. Great lgiht and saturation. I agree with David on the Comp... Beautiiful

Guillermo Luis Cozzo
01-23-2008, 09:00 PM
I think that I prefer this one than the horizontal one, but both are great! Beautiful place & light

Jason Hahn
01-27-2008, 07:35 AM
I am really enjoying your images from this area, it has been a great series so far. Great lines and layers, the light is just right to provide texture but not create shadows that are too deep.

Jason

Robert Amoruso
01-27-2008, 07:57 AM
Though I understand the comments on centering the leading lines here, I feel I like it as presented. I have seen John Paul Caponigro's dune images and some use a similar composition.

soleynicola
01-28-2008, 06:19 PM
This is really beautiful , love the markinks/shapes in the sand, plus richness.

N

David S. Goswick
01-28-2008, 10:17 PM
David, do you have any reason to believe that the non IS 70-200mm is sharper than the IS version? I have heard comments about this, and I have wondered.

dave goswick

David Steele
01-28-2008, 11:04 PM
David I have unfortunately not had any experience with the IS version but would be very interested in other's comments on this. The only IS lens in my armoury is the Canon EF 300 mm F4 L IS but I've had 'compatability' issues with this lens and my 1Ds Mk II in that it tends to 'freeze' the camera. Any sharpness in the dune photos comes from using f22 and locking the mirror up.