PDA

View Full Version : tree of a golden soul at Amritsar, India

Bidisha bhattacharya
02-05-2009, 11:22 PM
THE TREE WITH AGOLDEN SOUL

It’s a common myth to believe that trees , plants don’t have a heart , they cant feel like we do this is what science tells us, but time has almost always proved the science wrong in may a ways . In earlier days it was said that if you ever couldn’t hold a secret to yourself go to the depth of a forest and blurt it out the trees know what to keep to themselves. Even today people often go for nature walks with a thought in mind and the once they return they feel slightly unloaded, cause at times all we need is a kind listening ear which may not critically examine and comment on our thoughts but listen and understand us, in the world of today where everything is fast paced none has time for anyone, not even themselves.

Now some people consider this act of plants nothing short of display of their divinity, a proof that we are all one at the deepest core. My passion for birds & traveling have taken me places far and beyond learning and experiencing the local culture as I moved along. In one such journey that I had undertaken to the Golden temple city of Amritsar I heard a legend from some locals of a tree present in the compound of the Golden temple the most sacred seat of Sikhism in India that not only had the heart to listen to humans but also understand and hear the sorrow of Birds. Now being a non believer in god this was at first hard for me to give credence to. Hence I went to witness this unique sight myself.

The globally renowned Golden Temple, Harmandir Sahib, which enshrines the Holy Book of the Sikhs, the Guru Granth Sahib, is located in Amritsar. Amritsar, literally 'a pool of nectar', was founded by the fourth Guru of Sikhs, Guru Ram Das, who had initially constructed a pool here. The vital nucleus of Sikhism, Amritsar is also believed to be the site, where Sage Valmiki wrote the epic, Ramayana. According to popular belief, Rama and Sita had spent a brief period of their 14 year exile here.

Guru Arjun Dev - Nanak V(1563-1606) laid down the foundation of the temple in 1589. The construction of the temple was completed in late sixteenth century. It was rebuilt by the Sikh ruler, Maharaja Ranjit Singh in 1803.
The Temple today is a two storey marble structure, with an imposing dome of pure gold its architecture is a perfect blend of Hindu and Muslim styles. The golden dome is meant to represent an inverted lotus flower. The glory of this temple is so unbelievably magnificent that it tends to stay in your heart forever, but my eyes and mind yearned for something altogether different .
My conquest lay hidden in silent obscure north – west corner of the compound , not crowded nor waiting for recognition it just was existing as if it was doing so for the good of others.

This tree I noticed was a Indian Jujube tree scientifically known as Zizyphus mauritiana Lam.(or Jubi tree ) , the people around called it The Beri sahib . This tree appeared to be roughly 400 to 500 years old , it was not fruiting at the time of my observation. But what held my rapt attention was not the tree since it is a fairly common tree all over India but nowhere else have I seen so many birds in and around this tree .

Amritsar like any other very small , yet populated city mainly sports the common birds such as crows , pigeons , mynas , a few parakeets species , Crow pheasants, laughing and collared doves ,oriental honey buzzard ,kites , booted eagles (winters only) , quails , Indian roller , kingfishers etc. but not in any significant numbers . Te main hub for the birds is the Hari- ke – Pattan National Wetland and wildlife sanctuary, Amritsar which encloses a sparkling, sylvan lake that gleams like a mirage of quicksilver in the streaming sunlight. The lake is possibly the most significant water body of the state and witnesses the influx of nearly 350 species of exotic migratory birds from as far as Siberia during the freezing winters. Birds such as Cormorants, Darters, Herons, Egrets, Open billed Stork, Spoonbill and White Ibis, Little Grebe, Indian Moorhen, Black Winged Stilts, a few migratory ducks and occasionally Grey Pelicans are some of the rare species of birds that are the pride of the place. Another feather in the reserve's cap is its sweet water fish market, supposedly the largest in the country. Hari-ke-pattan, Amritsar, National Wetland and Wildlife Sanctuary is a coveted haunt of ornithologists and bird and animal lovers who sit in the wilderness and watch the colorful and disciplined birds go about their daily lives as the hours while away.

Well getting back to my tree , it appeared to be busy with its own hosts and guests altogether . It was surrounded by all three species of bulbuls ( the red vented, white eared
and the red whiskered bulbul ) in astonishing numbers of around 100 – 150 in a flock )
also I found 3 Himalayan bulbuls ,5 blue whistling thrush ( usually found in the NE himalyas) , crested bunting , sparrows and 2 black crested bulbuls as well as a few swifts.

This was truly astonishing that a small tree such as this was able to hold and support such a wide variety of birds some of which were way out of their range of occurrence and some which were very high in number and never observed in such large parties , nor causing any ruckus with load noises nor dirtying the surroundings with their droppings nor entertaining in fights over territory and food , they appeared to be simply enjoying their company.
I guess at it is at such points of time when one understands how petty we humans who claim to have solved the puzzles hidden in the space and universe beyond yet have failed to understand certain mysteries of our own natural world .

by
Bidisha bhattacharya
Msc. Final year student of Evironmental Biology
Delhi University

John Chardine
02-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Thanks for this description Bidisha. Your find does sound quite amazing. Now being a boring biologist I try to look for biological explanations of phenomena like you describe. Some obvious possibilities are that the tree was providing an abundant food source for the birds, or maybe they were nesting in the tree, or hiding from a bird predator such as a hawk. Do you have a picture of the tree or some of the birds that you could post (as a Forum contributor you can post a link to an image hosted somewhere else; Members can upload images directly to BPN).

Bidisha bhattacharya
02-07-2009, 04:05 AM
sir i do have an image but am unable to upload the same , since i haven't got it any website , clicked it on my own , also you see the reason for my interest was because
1) the plant was not fruiting at that time
2) doesn't explain the presence of birds way out of their range only for one tree......
3) no visible nest could be seen by me on the tree , birds simply were sitting on it or circling around the same in small flocks.

by the by sir , i am a boring biologist as well is guess by profession but of an on i like to add a certain romanticism to science which simply adds to fun of studying the same.