PDA

View Full Version : Rain Coast Ghost

Shane McDermott
02-05-2009, 09:26 PM
G'Day

Well this is my first post on Birdphotographs.net.

This is an image I captured in the Great Bear Rain Forest last fall, in our search for the elusive "spirit bear" or white bear. I heavily lean toward "critterscapes" vs portraits in the story telling of the my wildlife photography. I felt this one really captured the magic of the GBR and the fleeting presence of the spirit bear.

I would value and greatly appreciate the feedback from this talented group of wildlife shooters here at BPN.

Thanks, Shane

Nikon D3
200-400 f4
f5.6
1/125
ISO 800

http://www.wildearthilluminations.com/photos/389802523_53gcE-XL.jpg

Maxis Gamez
02-05-2009, 09:59 PM
This is fantastic and tells the story very well. You did an excellent job with the composition. IMO.

Thanks for sharing!

Alfred Forns
02-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Big Warm Welcome Shane !!!

Does work well for me Don't see many compositions with the bear small in frame with such an impact !!! Just perfect for me and Big Congrats !!

Sabyasachi Patra
02-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Shane,
Welcome to BPN. We are happy to have you here.

I love this image. The composition is fantastic. You have used the leading lines to good effect. Like the depth of field as well. I personally prefer environmental images over tight portraits. Please include the details of camera, lens, ISO, aperture etc for people to visualise and comment better.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Shane McDermott
02-05-2009, 11:39 PM
Thanks guys for having look. I am glad you like it, it is certainly one of my favorites from the trip. Sabyasachi I added some camera info, sorry forgot.

Shane

Dan Walker
02-06-2009, 12:10 AM
Well done Shane. Composition is great and I like the lines that the fallen trees make. Different but very good!

Dan

Steve Canuel
02-06-2009, 12:10 AM
Hi Shane,
I really like the details in the foilage throughout this image. I also like the fallen log and how it parallels the outline of the tree next to it. Kind of brings to mine one of those wooden toys with the levers and balls.

Robert Amoruso
02-06-2009, 07:48 AM
Welcome Shane,

Great composition with the trees in a diagonal - always a strong element in a composition. You met you objective for a critterscape IMO just perfectly.

Nice to have you here.

John Blumenkamp
02-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Welcome Shane... this is a fantastic capture in my opinion. Great lines from the fallen tree trunks, and the placement of the bear in the frame is excellent. You even captured him in motion. Top notch image... congrats!

Caroline Darmo
02-08-2009, 12:10 AM
This image is really well done. Terrific lines and good placement of the subject in the frame. The bear stands out very nicely against the background.

Shane McDermott
02-08-2009, 11:57 PM
Thanks to everyone for the comments on this image. I truly appreciate it!

Shane

Jasper Doest
02-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Shane, IMO you did the great here! Awesome composition.