PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Owl

John Harper
02-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Hi There

Another shot of "Sweeny Todd" the Snowy Owl, during my recent visit to the Hawk Conservancy Trust here in the UK in the all too rare snowy conditions.

EOS 1D MKIII EF 500 F4 ISO 800 1/640 @ F8

John

http://www.portviewfitout.co.uk/snowy2.jpg

Arthur Morris
02-05-2009, 06:58 PM
Hi John, It's been too long. Sharp. The bird looks a bit dark. You chose the best spot for the horizon line. May I assume that this is a captive? Do snowies occur naturally on your side of the pond?

Thanks of course for your continued membership support.

John Harper
02-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Hi Art

Yes it is a captive bird (should I have put that in the title?) born last year, so they are not sure till it moults into its adult feathers if its a he or a she. There have been rare sightings of Snowy Owls over here....probably lost or on vacation!:p but they are not native.

I just love the look of them, they also seem popular with the general public over here because of the tie up with "Harry Potter" series of books as Harry's Owl is a snowy.

John

Arthur Morris
02-05-2009, 07:45 PM
Hi John, I love them too. Do at least note in the post if a bird is a captive. Thank you sir.

Daniel Cadieux
02-05-2009, 08:32 PM
Good composition, but I would prefer a wee bit more room above. I agree the bird looks dark. I would also tone down the brightest snowflake above the head. Love the winter feel - glad you got some good opportunities with the snow.