PDA

View Full Version : Waukeena Falls

Tom Walter
02-05-2009, 05:29 PM
This is my first posting of a landscape image, although I have posted several avian and wildlife images. This falls is in Oregon along the Columbia River just east of Portland. I shot this with a super wide angle lens. The one thing that bothers me about the image is the bright spots at the top and bottom of the falls. I tried burning and also reducing the exposure in RAW but neither technique worked. There is no clipping shown in Photoshop. Any suggestions? What about the composition and cropping?

Nikon D200
Tokina 12-24 F4 DX at 14mm
Tripod
1/10 sec at f 5
ISO 100
<O:p</O:p

Roman Kurywczak
02-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Hi Tom,
short of merging 2 exposures.........did you use shadow highlights........shadows at 0......and moving the highlight slider.......be careful.....the whites can get muddy real quick!

Dave Mills
02-05-2009, 06:46 PM
When I have that problem I clone in the harsh white areas. Grab bits by the hot areas and blend. This is not perfect since I did it quickly but you get the idea.
When possible(and not true in all cases) I like to see the bottom of the falls.

Robert Amoruso
02-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Tom,

Dave beat me to it. Cloning is my solution as in camera, the blurring is what causes the harshness in the highlights on the falls.

Great composition with the diagonal flowing right to left and into the LL corner.

Tom Walter
02-05-2009, 08:41 PM
I tried highlights and shadows but it did not help. Cloning is a fantastic idea and the results look great. I was not aware of using this technique to cure hot spots. Many thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep it in mind for solving future problems.

David Thomasson
02-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Hi Tom,

Very pleasing composition. In addition to cloning a bit to cover the clipped highlights at the top of the falls, I think there are some nice colors lurking in this shot. Adjusting with levels, curves, selective color, etc., can bring them out.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/8449/waterfalllv8.jpg

Rene Quenneville
02-06-2009, 12:53 PM
Great Job David. Your adjustments brings this great picture to another level.

José Rodríguez
02-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Ok David. However, you also could avoid the blueish cast in the water. Would like to see the effect of processing at 100% crop, but it´s quite good in this size.

Lovely and strong pic. I usually find more interesting the water movement betwen 1/6 and 1/2 sec, but 1/10 also adds that silk texture to water....

David Thomasson
02-06-2009, 02:54 PM
Great Job David. Your adjustments brings this great picture to another level.
Thank you, Rene.

Ok David. However, you also could avoid the blueish cast in the water. Would like to see the effect of processing at 100% crop, but it´s quite good in this size.

Thanks. I had removed most of the blue cast in the water. Have to be careful with that. If you make the water perfectly neutral (white and light grays), it actually appears to have a yellow cast. Here's the repost at the original posting size.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7417/waterfall2axg3.jpg