PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Yellow Robin

Ákos Lumnitzer
02-05-2009, 04:52 PM
It is not in fact a Robin, but a Flycatcher. Such is the quirkiness of many Aussie birds' common names. When the continent was inhabited by the English they wanted birds to have familiar names so people can feel closer to home.

Captured in a friend's backyard off the deck (see reflection in eye). Unfortunately the evening after this photo was taken, a terrible storm destroyed the nest. About two weeks later the pair have built another nest in a different tree and a little higher, but that too was destroyed in no time.

Eastern Yellow Robins' scientific name (Eopsaltria australis) apparently refers to the fact that they are one of the first, if not the first, species to begin calling at dawn in the bush.

Taken with my 30D and a borrowed 500mm f/4L IS and 1.4x from about five meters away. I know the image is 500 pixels, but you can see a larger (1,200 pixel) version by clicking here (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3235/3046115061_de4a90ba43_o.jpg).

I will eventually opt to clone the OOF diagonal branch in the BG and tone down the bright lichens on the nest.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3235/3046115061_d34d1966d6.jpg

Bruce Enns
02-05-2009, 06:29 PM
I love the detail in this shot Akos! Beautiful exposure...I like the lichens as they are. The tricolor BG is pleasantly blurred...aside from taking out the branch, I might try to replace the green portion of the background with the orange and then blended to the brown above the birds head. The fact that the green portion coincides with the end of the beak detracts from an otherwise great shot.

Cheers!
Bruce

Ally Katt
02-05-2009, 06:48 PM
Hi AKos: I just checked out the larger version of this picture, and the detail is outstanding! I also like the perch. The perch, along with the lichens, really adds to the picture. Once you clone that OOF branch, you'll have an amazing capture here! Nice house. :)

Arthur Morris
02-05-2009, 06:52 PM
Dear Oshkosh,

I enjoy the details and the colors and the nest. Did you use an extension tube? Sharp with a perfect EXP. You paralleled the bird's head nicely.

John Chardine
02-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Lovely image Akos. The detail and colour are fantastic. The lichen in the nest is a bonus. I know it is a tight portrait but maybe a little more room at the top would be better.

Rene Quenneville
02-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Very nice. The feels reminds us of the fragility of these little ones. I love it as is.

Grace Scalzo
02-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Sweet and sharp. Nice work. Sad about the nest's fate.

Ákos Lumnitzer
02-05-2009, 10:42 PM
Sweet and sharp. Nice work. Sad about the nest's fate.

Thanks Grace. :)
It could well have been a pair of young birds making their first and second attempts at breeding. At least that is what we concluded.

Also, thanks to everyone for the wonderful and constructive comments. Always appreciated. BPN is still and will always be the best site for nature photography for the honest critiques.

Artie, no extension tube was used. I was pretty close to the MFD of the 500mm from memory and I have no idea what that is. I only had the pleasure to give that lens a good run this day for a couple of hours. :) Thanks again Maestro.

Juan Carlos Vindas
02-05-2009, 10:56 PM
Oshkosh?
Funny nickname!
I also enjoy seen at this image Akos, the details you got here are outstanding. I also believe this bird looks more like a Tyrannidae than a Turdidae. That 500mm makes wonders I can see.

Dejan Stojanovic
02-05-2009, 10:58 PM
very nice! they have such funky little nests too.

Jon Thornton
02-06-2009, 12:28 PM
Except for the out of focus branch, I like this shot. Well done.

Glenda Simmons
02-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Beautiful bird and image. To me, the bird's feathers appear over sharpened, but I've never seen one, so maybe that is how it really looks? I appreciate you adding the extra info about the bird...very interesting to learn about birds from other countries. This site has it all!!