PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel Hangout

Stefan Minnig
02-04-2009, 11:55 PM
Hello all,

After much ado here's a squirrel pic to add to the collection. I'm not a squirrel pro, but maybe it's a red squirrel? This madam was taken at Brookgreen Gardens in South Carolina on September 11, 2008.

Shot with: Canon 30d, 28-135mm F/3.5-F/5.6 IS, RAW format, 1/50th sec., 135mm, F/5.6, ISO 320, AV mode, No Flash.

This pose was short-lived so I shot with the settings I had. Wish I could have had a quicker SS and higher F-stop.

PS work:

This photo was overexposed to begin with, so I toned down the highlights and bumped up the midtones. I did a little PS pruning with the cloning tool and selectively sharpened much of the squirrel. I adjusted the yellows back just a tad as well. Cropped it down some also.

As always C & C's are more than welcome.

Thanks,

Stefan

Lance Peters
02-05-2009, 01:37 AM
Just Hanging around hey??

I like the pose and a nice sharp eye - agree yo cold have bumped the ISO up little to help with the shutter spEed and DOF. Personally I might try to tone down some of the highlights in the BG a bitmore :)

Keep em coming.

Gus Cobos
02-05-2009, 07:59 AM
Hi Stefan,
I think this is too funny...:Dthis little guy must work part time for the circus...:eek: You did well...I like the capture, and composition. You have good color rendition and good eye contact...The habitat gives this a nice touch...congrats...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Alfred Forns
02-05-2009, 12:49 PM
I like the pose and she looks so relaxed !!!

This is one of the good examples of needing to nail the exposure since you might not have a second chance !!! Need to recognize how the meter is being affected so you can compensate !! .. didn't see the comp listed?

Stefan Minnig
02-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Sorry Alfred. No EV change.

Stefan

Oscar Zangroniz
02-05-2009, 09:46 PM
One of the best pose I've seen for a squirrel. Great action and sharp image. Great job catching her.
Congrats

Steve Maxson
02-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Hi Stefan. Some good comments above already. I like the pose. This looks like a gray squirrel to me (it is not a red squirrel). I see this pose quite often around here, but it's always a squirrel hanging off a bird feeder. I like your squirrel-in-a-tree version better.