PDA

View Full Version : Half High Key Bison

Steve Canuel
02-04-2009, 10:24 PM
40D, 1-400L @ 115mm, f6.3, 1/125s, ISO 1000, handheld.

Steve Maxson
02-04-2009, 10:58 PM
Hi Steve. Interesting about the broken horn. I like the exposure and colors on the bison and the foreground as well as the comp. The background doesn't bother me at all because it looks like - fog. There seems to be a sharpening halo around the rear legs of the bison. Well done.

John Blumenkamp
02-04-2009, 11:59 PM
I like this Steve, especially your angle and composition. Too bad about the left horn, but that's wildlife. ;)

John Ippolito
02-05-2009, 02:27 AM
Comp and colors are very nice. I like the detail on the bison-the missing horn is interesting. The little bit of a hill in the BG hints fog/mist and doesn't bother me either.

Sabyasachi Patra
02-05-2009, 02:36 AM
Steve,
I don't mind the horn. Its wildlife and the broken horn tells a story. I like the low angle. Lot of details in the image. Put some text in the white blank space. :-)

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

denise ippolito
02-05-2009, 06:57 AM
Steve, I think the missing horn adds interest to the shot, nice colors and details, your composition is lovely!

joel quenneville
02-05-2009, 08:08 PM
I love your lighting and pose. The flowers in the FG are interesting but I would clone out the larger OOF pink/purple one in the lower left corner. Good job on your height for this one. You are low enough to have a pleasing camera to subject angle but not so low that the horizon line is at the same level as his eye or that you have white between his rear legs. Well done.

Robert Amoruso
02-05-2009, 08:34 PM
As an alternate, I would have like to see this really low with the high-key BG and really OOF green along the lower edge.

As presented, it works well.

Steve Canuel
02-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Thank you all for the comments. This was an older bull that I ran into a couple of times over this weekend trip, and he was always alone and away from the herd. Here's a closeup crop of his broken horn and what looks to be a missing/damaged eye.

Joel, to be honest about the horizon, I got lucky since I wasn't really paying attention to it that closely.

Robert, I think you can tell by now that I like stuff/patterns in my BGs so I didn't even think of that option. Guess I need to expand my horizons (bad pun not intended).