PDA

View Full Version : Horn Head

Nico van Leeuwen
01-23-2008, 09:46 AM
This is my first posting here.
The image was photographed in Connemara, Ireland, where I was trying to develop some skills in nature photography.
Camera: Canon EOS 30 D
Lens: Sigma 18-200 mm
Focal Length: 24.0 mm
ISO 100, 1/40 sec, f/16.0

Peregrine Craig Nash
01-23-2008, 10:55 AM
Very Nice but Horn Head is in County Donegal and you are looking out at Tory Island. In the autumn Tory Island is a place that many american birds blown across the atlantic make a stop!!

Nico van Leeuwen
01-23-2008, 11:19 AM
Very Nice but Horn Head is in County Donegal and you are looking out at Tory Island.
Yeah, you're very right. Thank you. I must have been dozing off. Anyhow, Ireland has a lot of beautiful counties :). I think Donegal is the still the most authentic.

Christof Ruch
01-23-2008, 05:10 PM
Hi Nico,

I do like the light in this one, and the crystal clear air showing off the beautiful greens. Composition-wise, I think I could live with less sky, the magnificent clouds give an ideal position for a crop.

What bugs me a little bit is that - having not been there myself - I have a problem to figure out the scale of the scenery, as there is no clearly identifiable object at all in the foreground that would give me an indication of size - that might be better in the real high-res version, but here, I somehow wish for a lone human figure somewhere giving me the clue I need.

Christof

Nico van Leeuwen
01-24-2008, 06:40 AM
Hi Christof,

Thank you for your advice. I made the crop just the way you suggested and indeed its a great improvement.
Unfortunalety there were no people for reference of scale, even no sheep! But I can assure you its an huge impressive landscape.

Nico

Peter Hawrylyshyn
01-24-2008, 08:55 PM
Nico -
A very nice first post
A pleasant contrast to all the birds flying around at BPN
I actually prefer your 1st crop more - suspect best crop maybe halfway between the two

My main suggestion - - did you use a tripod? The foreground looks soft - i suspect it's because you used ISO 100 and shutter speed of 1/40. WIth a 30D, you could have used a higher ISO and gotten a faster shutter speed thereby reducing any motion blur or camera shake

Thanks for sharing and keep your posts coming

Howard Burkert
01-24-2008, 10:27 PM
Nice first post! I like the cropped image as it puts the horizon line near where it shoud be. I might add a cable release and use of the mirrior up feature on your camera is almost magical for sharpness. I really like your image alot !!!
Best,Howard.

Nico van Leeuwen
01-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Thanks for your valuable comments Peter

My main suggestion - - did you use a tripod? The foreground looks soft - i suspect it's because you used ISO 100 and shutter speed of 1/40. WIth a 30D, you could have used a higher ISO and gotten a faster shutter speed thereby reducing any motion blur or camera shake

Indeed, I didn't use a tripod or a monopod. We were already overweighted due to my wife's beauty case and other womanlike things :).
I used a polar filter, that explains the low shutter speed. Do you've any idea what ISO value I can use with a 30D, wihout causing any noise?

I can assure you, next time my wife has to reduce the weight of her luggage for the tripod :D.

Regards Nico

Nico van Leeuwen
01-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Howard, thanks for your usabel suggestions.

Nice first post! I like the cropped image as it puts the horizon line near where it shoud be. I might add a cable release and use of the mirrior up feature on your camera is almost magical for sharpness.

Next time when I use a tripod, see my reply to Peter, I'll use the mirror up feature and a cable release.

Best, Nico