PDA

View Full Version : Mantid in a Lightbox

adcolon
02-04-2009, 07:22 PM
I was experimenting using a home-made $5 lightbox with two 60 watt daylight bulbs, one 800 watt automotive garage light and a macro flash with StoFen diffusers (the macro flash was directed to the sides of the box). I used a seamless piece of white paper for background to emphasize the colors.

The Mantid is a Callimantis Antillarum. It was not harmed in any way and now keeps my backyard free of pests. I used a Mantid because they are very cooperative. This one walked all over my hand and camera, but finally stayed still for a while. The Mantid was really upside down but I rotated the photo to make it easier to view.

ISO 100, f/16 @ 1/250 sec. A tripod was used with two focusing rails, one with left-right movement and one front-back movement from Really Right Stuff. Exposure was done lifting the mirror and using a remote release. A Canon angle finder C was used to fine-focus.

I should emphasize that before you try something like this you need to be sure you have a lot, lot, of patience for it. I don't think I will do it too regularly because staging is very labor-intensive, insects have a mind of their own, and the technique sort of takes the fun of catching the photo in the field "as is". This photo took about three hours to set up and take.....of course, I am just learning as I go along.

massimomossi
02-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Alfredo,

This works for me! I can see every detail of the bug, and the colors look great--so your homemade lightbox seems to be a success.

You might put the mantid back upside down. I think most of us can deal with that, and it would make the image more arresting, and truer to life.

Great subject.

Thank you for sharing!

Massimo

Ed Cordes
02-04-2009, 10:52 PM
I really like the light box effect. It is well worth your time. The colors of the Mantid just look splendid. My only suggestion would be to add canvas to the left side so there is a bit more room for it to move to. I am a traditionalist in that I like it right side up as presented.

Ed Vatza
02-05-2009, 07:09 AM
Good work and I do mean WORK! ;) Getting these guys to cooperate is worse than children! My only comment is that the critter looks too tight in the frame and needs more room around him.

Mike Moats
02-06-2009, 06:10 AM
Hey Alfredo, very nice, good details, and great color, the red stands out well. My suggestion would be to have turned the camera to create a diagonal line on the branch with the Mantid heading upwards. Well done.

Alfred Forns
02-06-2009, 04:03 PM
Hope you get more chances with the bug Alfredo !!!

btw I downloaded and played around with the white bg ... lots of possibilities Would select the bg and go to hue/saturation Just moving the slider all the way right and left will give a different look, there is a tiny color cast. Also altering the lightness and going to a dark bg has a dramatic effect !! Big Congrats on thin one !!!!

adcolon
02-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Thanks for your comments. Will try it.

Julie Kenward
02-06-2009, 08:01 PM
Nice stuff and very creative, Alfredo! Your explanation of what you did and how you did it was great...something to think about doing on a rainy day when three hours of being inside is a plus!

I would also suggest putting the stick at an angle and I'd thnk about giving it a 90 degre turn CW so it was a vertical. That might work as well!