PDA

View Full Version : Light in the forest.

Ian McHenry
02-04-2009, 02:20 PM
This recent picture was taken in the NZ bush which like the Australian bush is notorious for the lack of daylight which gets thro' the canopy to the ground.
Details:Pentax K10D and Tamron 70-300.
400 ISO 1/125 @ F5.6, Minus 1.0 EV. 70mm Multi-segment metered.
All comments and suggestions welcome.
Cheers: Ian Mc

Ed Vatza
02-05-2009, 07:06 AM
Ian, I think I understand what you were trying to capture here but the image lacks a focal point for me. I'm not sure what I should be looking at so my eye just wanders around the image looking for a resting place and not finding one. In short, I think this image is in need of a focal pint. Hope this helps.

Ian McHenry
02-05-2009, 01:56 PM
Thanks Ed
To me the focal point is the tree on the right but I should have probably done more to emphasise it.
Appreciate your advice on ensuring focal point is instantly identifiable.

Mike Moats
02-06-2009, 06:02 AM
Hey Ian, I have to agree that it needs a stonger focal point. What you have so far is a good background. I think the tree on the right would be a good focal point if it where showing more.

Alfred Forns
02-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Hi Ian I was going to suggest to work on the shadows and transition more into lighter tones but would be a labor or love .... and still needs something to grab your attention.

............................. this is the image I would be probably making if I stayed too long in that fine establishment I posted in travel :)

Ian McHenry
02-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Thanks Mike & Alfred
Here is another crop to emphasise tree.

Julie Kenward
02-06-2009, 07:55 PM
Ian, you are on the right track by wanting to emphasize the difference in light streaming in through the trees but I'm a still not getting a strong focal point, even on the recropped version. I think in order to really show the difference between the light, mid and dark tones you'd need more of a wide angle view - where the canopy was high above you and the tree was fully in view and the light was breaking through to the ground below. Does that make sense? At this close of an angle, it's hard for someone who wasn't there to get that same sense of sunlight that you originally saw.

It's a hard image to make. I've tried it a hundred times when in deep forested areas and they rarely look as good when I get them home as they did when I was there. Part of it is exposure - you'll either blow out the light tones to capture the deeper ones or vice versa.

Ian McHenry
02-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Thanks Julie
It was only when my wife and arrived there that I realised I had the 70-300 lens on instead of the 28-200 !!!!
Usually take the 18-55 so this is a good reminder to take both.