PDA

View Full Version : Geese on Ice

Nonda Surratt
01-23-2008, 08:38 AM
This time of year I end up making lots of scenic images and I try to use habitat and light for interest. This image was captured at our local 'safe' wetlands from the car, is this working?
MIII, ISO400, 300f2.8+1.4TC @f5.0, 1/400

Rosl Roessner
01-23-2008, 02:20 PM
Hi Nonda,
for me it is working; you did a good job with the exposure and the composition is pleasing. I like the oof birds in the background.

Best Regards,
Rose

Nonda Surratt
01-23-2008, 08:37 PM
Thank you Rose appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Judd Patterson
01-24-2008, 02:07 AM
Nice work Nonda! The light that you captured is very beautiful and the overall image has a great mood. I'd be tempted to try and reduce the number of subjects...perhaps if you had moved to your right you might have been able to isolate just the five geese (and exclude the OOF mallards). My brain also tells me that this image has a slight tilt that would be best corrected with a 0.5-1 degree clockwise rotation. An easy way to check this is to use the Ruler tool in Photoshop to draw a straight line along the line splitting a goose from its reflection. Then go to Image, Rotate Canvas, Arbitrary, and you'll see a value calculated from your ruler line filled in the Angle box. Just click OK and see how that works for you. Great work using habitat and light to create some unique images!

Nonda Surratt
01-24-2008, 09:19 AM
Thank you Judd,

I kick around birds being straight or the land, go with the birds.