PDA

View Full Version : I can't do flycatchers

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
02-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Took this yesterday near Vero Beach Florida. I think this is some kind of flycatcher, but I am not really sure can anyone help? Thanks in advance. I have searched bird books with no real success.

John Chardine
02-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Well this is a tough one Wheeler! I think you are correct that it is a flycatcher. Looking at the range maps and the features that the image shows I would GUESS at a Least, Willow or Acadian Flycatcher- all in the Empidonax genus.

Do you have any other images of the bird that are somewhat darker and show the wing better?

Any other ideas?

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
02-04-2009, 05:36 PM
I am attaching the only other image of the bird I was able to take. I have darkened the breast a little to try to bring out any color in it. Not very sucessfull. When I look up the flycatchers you suggest, and my almost any time I try to identify flycatchers, I find that the book makes them quite green and mine seem to be quite brown. Is there some reason for that. Hope this helps.
Wheeler

Doug Hitchcox
02-04-2009, 07:10 PM
With an all black bill shaped like that I am thinking its an Eastern Phoebe. Its posture doesn't seem phoebe like but its an interesting angle...

John Chardine
02-04-2009, 07:33 PM
You could be right Doug. I think I can make out a "smudge on the side of breast" as Sibley describes it and there may be a hint of yellow in the lower flanks. If the all-dark bill is diagnostic, maybe we have a winner!

Sue Thomson
03-16-2009, 06:03 AM
Is it possible it is leucistic? There seem to be a few of them in different species showing up on the bird boards lately. So far tonight alone, I have seen robins and grackles that people have posted looking for ID.

Rather neat if it is, eh??? Would be one for my list, for sure!

Cheers,
Sue

Sue Thomson
03-16-2009, 06:06 AM
Since I can't edit, I have to add: http://www.mail-archive.com/mou-net@lists.umn.edu/msg12988.html