PDA

View Full Version : First landscape

José Rodríguez
02-04-2009, 07:52 AM
One of the first I took with my D300. It´s a landscape on some rocks (called here "roques") in the center of Gran Canaria (Canary Islands). Lighting was special that time....
Nikon D300, nikkor 55-200 VR
As I´m auto educating myself in photography, and as a newbie, I´m always unsure about my processings. In this one I used Capture NX, and maybe I saturated too much... Opinions ?

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/8482491-md.jpg

Robert Amoruso
02-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Welcome Jose, glad to have you here.

You certainly had a great opportunity here and did well with the exposure and processing. I have some suggestions on the composition I would like to share. On the bottom I would include more of the tree line to act as a base. Now it is a bit truncated. On the top, I would suggestion more room so as not to clip the clouds.

The most interesting part of the image are the peaks and for this reason I cropped this into a vertical and posted it here. What is good about this image is the atmospheric layering that creates depth. You did well seeing it. When seeing an image in your mind, think what do I like about what is before me? What excites me? Answer that question and go about accentuating that thought by simplfying the scene: change focal length, change from landscape to vertical (portrait), move around to change how things in the scene relate to each other. Saturation jumped up a bit in going back and forth on this image. I think your original presentation looks just right saturation-wise.

Hope to see more of your work soon.

José Rodríguez
02-04-2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks Robert. Wise tips!

Roman Kurywczak
02-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Hey Jose,
Welcome to the forum! I like the layers and mood in this one.....and while I like Robert's vert.........I will offer another one. In my repost......I cropped out the brighter clouds........you may be able to go back to the raw file and save it......but with the jpeg.......i couldn't get it to the point that i liked it.......so I cropped it out. I also added some canvas to the bottom........as I agreed with Robert on a bit more base. This was really easy....as I set the BG color to black......and just cropped large than the image on the bottom. A bit of healing brush in a few areas....and there's your extra base. I also boosted the contrast a hair.....as I really wanted the rays of the sun to pop a bit more. I also added a bit of saturation....so that we wouldn't lose as much when I re-posted.
Nicely composed and I love the atmospheric layers. Nicely done and I look forward to seeing more from you.

Ed Cordes
02-04-2009, 10:41 PM
All versions are nice to my eye. To answer your original question the saturation of the original looks good to me. I really like the vertical presentation. It just seems to pop more. Keep 'em coming!

Phil Ginn
02-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Great image. I really enjoy the colors and layers.

David Thomasson
02-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Very nice. I don't think you've over-saturated it. After looking at the original and the two alternative crops, I'd go with the original.