PDA

View Full Version : Nuttall's Woodpecker (juvenile)

Mark Schmitt
02-03-2009, 11:41 PM
This bird could not have been out of the nesst for more than a week. It is a young male. The red in the crest is limited to the fore-head area. As a full adult, the red will extend well to the back of the head.

Self critique: the BG is a mottled set of tones, which I like except that I wish the head of the bird were in the lighter area so as to provide more contrast and delineate the head better; a little more eye contact. In PP, the head was masked and curves used to bring up the light tones and contrast; the same was done to the belly area. Did not need to use an apeture of f 18. Would have been better to go with f 5.6 and a shutter of 1/500 or better

EXIF
Camera: Canon 20D
Lense: Canon EF 100-400 IS L: (focal length 400mm)
Mode: apeture priority
Metering: partial
ISO: 400
White bal.: 5400K
Exposure: 1/200 @ f 18, -.33 comp; fill flash -1.33 comp, Better Beamer extender

Feel free ;)

Marko Matesic
02-04-2009, 05:31 AM
I really like pose and warm light...red color looks great:)

Axel Hildebrandt
02-04-2009, 10:58 AM
I like the light, pose and details. A bit more eye contact would have made it even better.

Glenda Simmons
02-04-2009, 12:14 PM
What a great bird to find...and better yet, have a chance to photograph. The bark on the tree is a bit bright or contrasty against the bird, which is the only thing I find a little distracting. But, it also, may just be the lap top monitor I am on. I agree that this must be a young bird, as you can still see his spotted breast.