PDA

View Full Version : Tawny Eagle Descending to Snag

John Lowin
02-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Tawny Eagle image made in Samburu Kenya. Didn't get the camera swung around quick enough to capture fully open wings before touchdown, but still some interesting balancing action going on. Incredibly hot day, well over 100F. It was 40F when we left camp before 6:00AM for the morning game drive and I was wearing gloves. I purposefully left more air around this image than the last one. I hope you like it.

Critique and comments eagerly sought, I'm here to learn. Thanks, John

f/8 - 1/1250 - ISO 200 - 1000mm
Canon EOS 1D MkII
Canon EF 500 1:4 IS USM
Canon Extender EF 2X II
Kinesis Gear Safari Sack (Bean Bag)

Dan Walker
02-03-2009, 05:31 PM
Cool pose and bird, John. There is a strong halo around the bird though, did you use shadows/highlights during post-processing?

dan

Judy Lynn Malloch
02-03-2009, 05:53 PM
Agree with the above comments but love the excellent timing and the action you captured in this image John. Very nice eye contact too as well as good exposure. IMO I would like to see a tad more canvas all around with a bit more on the left. Many thanks for sharing.

Fabs Forns
02-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Excellent pose if a bit steep in angle. Agree on the halo and the strong saturation in the sky. Beautiful bird!

Joe Senzatimore
02-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Nits mentioned , still a fine capture with great eye contact and details.

John Lowin
02-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Hi Dan, You are correct, I did use S&H, I was seeing some noise in the shadow areas and thought I could help those areas. How do you suggest I approach that issue without creating the halo? Comment greatly appreciated. Thanks - John

Fabs Forns
02-03-2009, 06:24 PM
John, you can select the sky with the magic wand in PS and invert the selection. Then go to Select>Modify>Contract by one pixel, to make sure you have no bleeding into the sky. Make a nre layer of the selection for easier viewing and apply your S/H effect, not touching the sky. Flatten and proceed with the rest of your workflow.

John Lowin
02-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Thanks Fabs, I'll give that a try. Greatly appreciated. John

Daniel Cadieux
02-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Hi Dan, You are correct, I did use S&H, I was seeing some noise in the shadow areas and thought I could help those areas. How do you suggest I approach that issue without creating the halo? Comment greatly appreciated. Thanks - John

S/H won't help with noise issues in shadows?..if anything it will usually accentuate this (at least introduce color noise if done too aggressively). If you want to reduce noise best to select those particular areas (best done by QM)and apply noise reduction on them.

I love the pose on the bird. Wish it had landed on a better perch - you take what you can though!:)

Arthur Morris
02-03-2009, 07:52 PM
Hey John, Glad to see that you figured out the posting bit. Great discussion above. Love the raised wing pose and the perfect head angle. Is the whitest part of the perch over-exposed?

Thanks so much for your membership support.

John Lowin
02-03-2009, 08:37 PM
John, you can select the sky with the magic wand in PS and invert the selection. Then go to Select>Modify>Contract by one pixel, to make sure you have no bleeding into the sky. Make a nre layer of the selection for easier viewing and apply your S/H effect, not touching the sky. Flatten and proceed with the rest of your workflow.

You mention making an nre layer, = noisereduction? Or new? Thanks - John

Ken Watkins
02-04-2009, 03:38 AM
Judging by your posts so far you have had a great visit to Kenya. I really like this and a nicer more natural post would have topped it off.

Geurt Bloem
02-04-2009, 10:17 AM
Small issues covered. I like the image and it shows some very good detail of one of our more handsome raptors we have in Africa. Well done.