PDA

View Full Version : Windmill

Michael Lloyd
02-03-2009, 10:01 AM
I guess this is the correct forum for this. The windmill in this image is about 5 mils from my home. I rarely think about it and I finally got there in time to catch sunset on it (barely caught it though)

EOS 1DMKIII handheld
24-70 f2.8L@ 70mm

ISO 400
1/500@ f2.8

Roman Kurywczak
02-03-2009, 11:52 AM
Hey Michael,
Beautiful location and I think you should explore this one some more. I did a lot of PP on this one........to give people an idea of what it may look like with a bit more light. I lightened the FG using a screen blend layer (Robert's tutorial can be found at top of forum under Tonal range tweaks).......I then boosted the contrast and saturation quite a bit......this made the golden color pop more. The crop off the bottom was the big thing......as the base seemed too much. I did crop off the blue sky....even though I liked it.....just to get the proportions back....but you could just as easily leave it as the color was nice. An extra few minutes of light would have made this realy glow......so since it's that close to the house .....keep this location in mind for the future default location (if it looks like a nice sunset.......head there!)

Michael Lloyd
02-03-2009, 05:20 PM
I like it. I use the screen blend mode trick quite often.

I was literally driving down the road, talking on the cell phone when I saw this and screeched to a halt. By the time I backed up, hauled the camera out, and took the shot the light had already changed. When I first saw it the "tower" and casita were both lit as well as the upper section. It's amazing what a couple of minutes will do to / for you.

Harold Davis
02-03-2009, 07:33 PM
love the scene and roman's repost is really nice. the duotone bg is beautiful! my first thought is if you could move left and get the tree and windmill a little more to the left side of the frame instead of the windmill in the center. will be interested to see what you get from here.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
02-03-2009, 08:25 PM
Nice capture in that sweet light Michael. Like the composition as windmills are one of my favorites.

David Thomasson
02-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Beautiful capture. I tried a "stretch" version.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/4175/windmilljl0.jpg

Robert Amoruso
02-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Michael,

The building balances the tree and windmill well. Roman's rework is the way to go.

Steve Canuel
02-04-2009, 12:10 AM
This one has a real "Texas" countryside look to me. If the tree is living and has some color in the Fall, might be interesting to shoot this at different seasons.