PDA

View Full Version : Black-Throated Sparrow

Mark Schmitt
02-02-2009, 10:58 PM
These are found in some of the more un-hospitable areas. When this image was taken it was 114 deg. Far.

Self critique: The cholla is one of the dominating and interesting elements in the image so I left a good bit of it in; the one soft, blurred part of cholla near the chest area of the bird might have been removed; most of the technical aspects of the image are satisfactory though the head seems to be a little soft in focus. Some colour correction was done as the original image was far to warm. Didn't quite have the sun behind me so the bid did not get as much light as it could.

EXIF
Camera: Canon 20D
Lense: Canon EF 100-400 IS L (focal length 400mm)
Mode: aperture priority
Metering: partial
ISO: 200
White bal. 5400K
Exposure: 1/200 @ f 10.0; ambient light; monopod

Fabs Forns
02-02-2009, 11:52 PM
I don't mind the side light here, because it is not creating any EXP problems, in fact, it's giving you nice definition, and the whole face is well lit. I rather like the OOF cholla that adds dimension to the image. Meaning you are being too harsh on yourself :)
If you look closely, removing the OOF chola would make the image appear very flat, no depth.
I'm surprised anyone can function at 114 degrees!!!

Steve Canuel
02-03-2009, 12:40 AM
I like the depth provided by the different branches of cholla as well. Makes him look like he's "in it". Head looks soft in comparison to the needles but maybe if they were softened it would lessen the effect? Hardly noticeable as presented. Color looks good/natural. Why he'd want to land there though, I don't know.

Rene' Villela
02-03-2009, 04:37 AM
I like it as presented. i get a 3D feeling with him between some more OOF cholla and some sharper. Good job!

Daniel Cadieux
02-03-2009, 07:24 AM
Leave the vegetation as is!! Looks great...if anything I'd maybe put a tiny amount back at right for the taller spike there (if you have it). I'm personally wanting some detail on the chin...hard to get with the sidelight though unless the subject was close enough to use fill.