PDA

View Full Version : Florida?? Feb 14-22?!

Brandon Holden
02-02-2009, 07:52 PM
My girlfriend and I may be able to drive down from Ontario on the above dates. I'm wondering if its worth the trip?! I've heard of a bunch of hotspots over the internet (Fort De Soto, Anhingia Trail, Little Estro Lagoon, Gatorland etc).. But I don't really know much about them for this time of year. Just wondering what areas would be the most worth-while to visit? The closest I've been for photography is Cape May, NJ - so any info is very much appreciated!

I'm pretty excited, but still in the very early stages of planning. (I tend to be a last-minute kinda person). Most of the time I sleep in my car when doing some sort of a photo trip (saves money), but I've heard rumors that its illegal to sleep in a car overnight in Florida. Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks very much for any help! Happy Shooting!

Brandon

Maxis Gamez
02-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Hi Brandon,

Feb 14-22 sounds a little early but I'm sure you will find activity. Gatorland is already getting busy. I haven't been to De Soto but there is almost always something to shoot. Anhinga Trail could be a little early as well but I would check with Judd before taking a trip out there.

Estero Lagoon is better in the PM and if you are in that area, you can try burrowing owls as well.

As far as sleeping in the car, that would be news to me. I've done it SEVERAL times and with no problems! Remember you can always camp around different parks for like $10-$30 per night, just make your reservations ahead of time because is peak season in some areas!

Good luck!

Judd Patterson
02-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Let's see...February 14-22 from Orlando south to Miami you can expect average low's in the mid-50's (13C) and highs in the mid-70's (24C) with plenty of sun. You'll find birds all over the place...many just molting into their breeding plumage (although many Great Blue Herons and Anghina's are well on their way to raising chicks already). I'll let you decide if it's worth a trip down. ;)

Gatorland is easy to reach since it's up in Orlando. Fort DeSoto is near Tampa so you could visit both of those spots without needing to drive another 4-5 hours south to Everglades National Park (Anhinga Trail, Flamingo, etc.) So far this year Everglades has remained slow, but it's a special experience visiting a 1.5 million acre wilderness area (the largest in the eastern United States). You can find birds at nearly any beach, wetland, and state park this time of year, so don't feel that you have to limit yourself to the well known spots...explore and let us know what new gems you discover! Oh, and do consider Viera Wetlands if you visit Gatorland since they are relatively close.

Alfred Forns
02-04-2009, 10:51 AM
Hi Brandon Gotten some good advice

In my area, South Florida, Anhinga Trail in ENP has picked up a lot in the past few weeks and further down in the Park Flamingo has been excellent for Ospreys. Overall you might be better off in the Central FL area.

Little Estero lagoon will be good morning and afternoon. I much prefer the morning, sunrises can be magical, afternoon you get the reflections for the condos which make for excellent images. Further up DeSoto is good all year around so its always a good bet.

Brandon Holden
02-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Thanks a million for the replies! From what I've heard, I don't think its against the law to sleep in the car! (Just a crazy rumor, methinks)

I think my dates may be slowly changing. I might wait a bit longer, in hopes of getting all the species in full breeding plumage. Plus, I might be able to stay a bit longer (hopefully 2 weeks, and possibly even more). My game plan will be to drive down in my car, and just visit all the hot spots I can think of! I'll be sleeping in my car, which will allow me to move from location to location at will.

One early question I have - is there any rookery that is best to visit? I've been reading about several, but I'm not sure which to visit.

Since I've never traveled much for photography, pretty much everything will be to die for... The one species however I really really would not want to miss, is Reddish Egret (both phases). Is there a specific area that is the "best" for this species? Or should I just expect to run into them while traveling about?

Thanks again for all the help! It may be about 2 weeks away, but I'm getting pretty excited already!

Brandon

Fabs Forns
02-04-2009, 07:38 PM
Brandon, both DeSoto and Little Estero Lagoon have residents Reddish Egrets.
As for Rookeries, Saint Augustine Alligator Farm is very popular and should have a lot of birds in breeding plumage. Not familiar with Gatorland.

Brandon Holden
02-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Thanks Fabs! I hope everyone doesn't mind me asking so many questions! Would the Venice Rookery be on par with the other two? Am I right to think its free to shoot at Venice, but $20-30 per day for Gatorland/St Augustine? Is the opening/closing times a problem for good light at Gatorland/St Aug?

I think St. Augustine will be my first and last stops on my trip, as its a few hrs closer to home! (Ontario).. Not that its a big difference - since its already 20+ hours...

Thanks a million, again, for the help!

All the best!

Brandon

Fabs Forns
02-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Venice is free and does accept donations. It was not as active when I was there end of December. Hit or miss.
Alligator Farm, you can check the prices on their website and for a $5 a day you can stay past the closing time.
Viera Wetlands, in Melbourne, is free od charge and I hear the Eagles and Crested Cara Caras have been active.
You will have fun.

Marina Scarr
02-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Hi Brandon: Venice Rookery is nice right now, but I would advise you obtain an update before leaving. If you decide to come over this way, I would stop at Gatorland in Orlando. Their charge is about $20 for the day. Was there last weekend and it was very busy, but will be even busier in Feb & March. From my experience with both Gatorland and St. Augustine, I find the birds at Gatorland more accessible. There is also Honeymoon Island State Park, as well as the Causeway just before the Park which is normally loaded with birds. Ft. DeSoto could be your nest stop south after that. You have many choices to think about. Good luck witih all the decisions. It's usually easier when you don't have as many choices.