PDA

View Full Version : Enchantment

Ed Vatza
02-02-2009, 06:34 PM
The lavender rose symbolizes enchantment and love at first sight. As some of you may remember, I have been working on a series of rose images this winter. So far I have presented "Innocence" (white rose), "Desire" (orange rose) and "Passion" (red rose). Today's addition to the series is "Enchantment" (lavender rose). Others will follow.

Canon 50D with remote shutter release; Sigma 150mm Macro lens; Canon 430 EX Flash with LumiQuest lightbox diffuser bracket mounted; Velbon Ultra-Luxis tripod.

1/25 sec @ f/3.2; ISO 100; 0 EV; FEC -1

Julie Kenward
02-02-2009, 07:15 PM
Love the colors, the shadows and the comp. Love them, love them, love them.

I wish you'd gotten a bit more DOF on the front group of petals to the right, though. Maybe f4 or 5?

Ed Vatza
02-02-2009, 07:35 PM
Love the colors, the shadows and the comp. Love them, love them, love them.

I wish you'd gotten a bit more DOF on the front group of petals to the right, though. Maybe f4 or 5?

For you Jules, anything! ;)

1/8 sec @ f/5.6; ISO 100; 0 EV; -1 FEC

Julie Kenward
02-02-2009, 08:13 PM
I KNEW you had another one up your sleeve! I really prefer the second one although I know there will be fans of the first one as well. I really like something sharp and in focus in 99% of macro images - even if it is just one line or curve.

Thanks Ed, I'll take a dozen please!

Alfred Forns
02-02-2009, 11:51 PM
Each has its own appeal and are so different I like seeing what a little change can do to an image !!! If I had to pick one would be the second and might accentuate the shadows a bit !!! Great series !!!!

Gus Cobos
02-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Hi Ed,
I like the second rendition the best...I like the added sharpness and prominent details and texture...well composed and executed...good show...:cool:

Anita Bower
02-03-2009, 05:08 PM
I like both of them, but may have to go with the second also. I especially love the texture seen in the sharp areas. Lovely composition and unusual color. Very nice!!!

Joseph Martines
02-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Doesn't this color usually evoke royalty?

Both are very nice captures.

Thanks for sharing.

Ed Vatza
02-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Alfred, Gus, Anita, Joseph,

I thank you all for your critiques. They are always appreciated and always helpful.

I've been working at migrating everything over to my new iMac and as I do I've been looking through and cleaning out files of older images from a year or two back. Looking at them, it is hard to believe how much I have grown as a photographer over the past year. I couldn't have done it without the help I have received from all of you.

So a big thank you. I don't say it enough but you all are great!:)

denise ippolito
02-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Ed, I vote for second one also. love the color!

Joseph Martines
02-04-2009, 07:59 AM
Ed:

If I may make a suggestion:

Since you have a new Mac and are going through your files, you may find it to your satisfaction to make a "Best of...." book for permanence. It is very simple on your Mac especially if you use iPhoto or Aperture.

I was encouraged by a friend to do so because of the direction of digital imaging. Most people do not make permanent copies of their images.

I did a "Best of 2007" and "Orchids." I have to get started on 2008 and Orchids for 2008-9 season.

Also, may I recommend using Picasa in Google for sharing pictures with your shooting buddies. The Google account is free as is Picasa. Once you get beyond a certain amount of storage you have to delete or pay for more storage.