PDA

View Full Version : Coral Cove Park

Harold Davis
02-02-2009, 05:19 PM
i was scouting a few areas yesterday afternoon and found this place. looks like it may have potential and access before sunrise. what do you think of a composition similar to this and what should i look for in a situation like this?

it was fairly early so i did a HDR just for kicks. D300, 18-200 at 18mm, f/22, 1/10s to 1/400s, ISO 200 with polarizar filter.

thanks for looking and comments and critiques appreciated.

Roman Kurywczak
02-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Hey Harold,
Area looks pretty cool and I think the HDR work here is pretty good! Here's a few tips/things to look for........watch the edges of the rocks.....if you look at Paul's post from earlier in the week......there was big debate on the clipped edges of the rock....but the consensus was uninimous...if you can, avoid it,,,and if you can't ...be real careful as to where you clip. If you look at Robert's seashore posts....usually long exposures where the water turns silky. If you have crashing waves when you go there in the morning....Iso 100 and the polariser....will give you the longer SS and the ability to capture the silky look as it crashes in between the rocks. The moosy rocks look like they have potential....just follow the less is more philosophy.......and it should be pretty succesful. Remember to isolate.......the rest should follow. If no split ND.....do a 2 image HDR...don't get crazy with the 5. 3 max.........and you should have a pretty cool image. I'm keeping my fingers crossed you get the clouds.......as W/O them.........you usually don't get great the spectacular sunrisies....but then just minimize and concentrate on the FG. Higher f stops ....f16 or higher....will give you the star bursts.
Good luck and happy hunting!

Michael Pancier
02-02-2009, 05:55 PM
i've shot there, but the prize is further north at blowing rocks.

Robert Amoruso
02-02-2009, 08:23 PM
I too like the HDR Harold. Roman brought up many good points. Since he mentioned me, he knows I like the long exposures for the surf and here 3 to 5 seconds would have been real nice. I would also do 15 sec and 30 sec. with a stack of ND's.

Jackie Schuknecht
02-03-2009, 08:04 PM
I like your composition Harold. I am wondering if you masked the sky and saturated the FG elements if it would give more punch to the photo??

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
02-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Thanks for posting this great photo and having comments and critiques as this really is helping me what to look for when setting up.