PDA

View Full Version : Calligraphy by Lettered Olive

Steve Maxson
02-02-2009, 12:19 PM
On an overcast morning at low tide at Fort Desoto, I noticed a number of Lettered Olives (a Gastropod [snail]) burrowing along just under the surface of the sand at the low-tide mark. Their shells are nearly cylindrical and are very glossy on the surface (you'll have to take my word for this as the olive itself is not visible in the photo). I was intrigued by the pattern this particular olive was making as it reminded me of calligraphy (though I'm not certain what font it was using :) ) The olive is just under the sand at the right side of the frame. 20D, 28-135mm at 38mm, 1/90, f/8, ISO 400, hand held. I applied some local contrast enhancement (ala Robert Amoruso) in pp. Coments are welcome.

Julie Kenward
02-02-2009, 06:48 PM
I really love this Steve. It's an interesting image and you're right...it really does look like caligraphy! I think your composition is perfect - enough space around the trail without it being too tight in the frame. I think another interesting alternative crop would be to place the half circle on the left up higher and then rotate the image just a bit so the trail comes down into the lower part of the frame.

I also wonder if you've tried this as a b&w or sepia print? Might be interesting there as well.

Mike Moats
02-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Hey Steve, I like this kind of stuff, very interesting art work. Good sharp details and I like the comp.

Ed Vatza
02-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Great find. Good eye. Excellent composition. Perfect title. Very cool. Well done!

Anita Bower
02-05-2009, 06:27 AM
Good eye in seeing the possibilities of this for a strong image. I like it. The lines are graceful and pleasing. The three dimensional quality created by the sand being pushed up add a lot of interest. And, one wonders what will be the next desing.