PDA

View Full Version : Great Gray Owl

Jeff Nadler
02-02-2009, 11:08 AM
From previous years but this one not previously posted, having just done some newly acquired masking skills to tone down a bright background not really liked in the Raw capture. Canon 20D, 500mm F4 handheld, F5.6, ISO 400, IS-2, Ev metering, center Af. Having read that this species is currently being found in southeastern Ontario, it made me want to look over my images and post one. Background was very bright in upper left corner in Raw image.

Ramon M. Casares
02-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Well, it ended up looking preety terrific to me, great pose and tight comp, lovely BG and detail. I would be tempted to tone down the whole image just a very little bit and I wonder how it would´ve looked with a horizontal framing. Still, congratulations on a great shot!

Rene Quenneville
02-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Beautiful capture. I love the overall mood. The snow balances the picture well.

Bob Malbon
02-02-2009, 12:38 PM
J, Of all of the Owl images posted here those eyes take the prize!! I think if you have more wing(s) I would try a landscape version. One more nit, I do not like the thin black outline in the presentation. But the image is a 9.99 because of those eyes!!!! Thanks for posting, Bob
Oh, before Art asks, was it baited?

Jeff Nadler
02-02-2009, 12:42 PM
baiting=yes, as were many GGO images taken that year. The black outline can easily go away!

Doug Hitchcox
02-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Love this image, especially the crop as is. Only nit from me would be to maybe warm up the underparts of the bird.

Juan Aragonés
02-02-2009, 01:59 PM
The composition is fantastic (but I think it could be better with the bird placed a little bit higher in the frame) and I love the intense stare of the eyes. Superb BG by the way.

Jim Fenton
02-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Jeff....

Can't comment on the color and the like as I'm on my less than spectacular work monitor.

I think that I would prefer this as a horizontal?

Also...it looks as though there is some steel eye going on in the left pupil (viewer right) due to flash which I would imagine can be cleaned up?

Art Kornienko
02-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Thanks Bob, I was curious. Really nice focus and agree with those killer eyes, was there an opportunity for a horizontal crop on this shot?

Jeff Nadler
02-03-2009, 07:59 AM
since I assume two images should not be posted here, here is a link to a landscape orientation version:

http://www.jnphoto.net/ggo-nn0040.jpg

Doug Brown
02-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Terrific eyes on that beautiful bird. Another vote for a horizontal crop. BTW you can repost edited images in the same thread. I'll do it here for you Jeff. I prefer the second crop to the first.

Gyorgy Szimuly
02-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Hmmm, not sure which works better but I like the vertical version very much.

Szimi

Geurt Bloem
02-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Hmmm, lovely subject! I do prefer the second (horizontal cropped) version.