PDA

View Full Version : Leopard Protecting Its Kill

John Lowin
02-02-2009, 12:32 AM
Captured in the Upper Masi Mara. This was a challenging image with the very busy bg and light canopy. But this opportunity was too good to pass by. I've done some curve and blur adjustments, hopefully not too offensive. I hope you like it. All critiques and comments requested, I'm here to learn.

f/8 1/160 ISO 400
Canon EOS 1D Mk II
Canon EF 500 1:4 IS USM
Kinesis Gear Safari Sack (Bean Bag)
Canon Flash w/ Anderson's Better Beamer

Alfred Forns
02-02-2009, 08:47 AM
Hi John Going tight was the way to go, maximises the effect and helps out with the bg. The image is well exposed and sharp, best you could do from your position !!! I like it !!!

.... btw another alternative is going even tighter Tech wise I would have raised the ISO and wouldn't have worried about stopping one down, that lens is great wide open with converter plus will help out with bg !!!

Sabyasachi Patra
02-02-2009, 11:14 AM
John,
Nice sighting. I agree with Alfred about a shallow aperture. In these situations, I would try as shallow a lens opening as possible, so would have tried f5.6. However, if the branches in the background are near to the leopard, then you wont be able to get them diffused despite the shallower lens opening. I would also have tried a 2x as well. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Rene Quenneville
02-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Beautiful. We fel the moment. Nice crop and exposure.

Judy Lynn Malloch
02-02-2009, 02:00 PM
I too like the crop and excellent detail and eye contact. You did well in a very difficult situation. I remember how hard it was with the exposure and your's is right on.

John Lowin
02-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Judy, Thank you for your kind words. This is an ongoing learning process and I am benefiting greatly. Thanks to all who commented. John

Dan Walker
02-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Nice image. the background doesn't bother me, looks like you did well to minimize it. What was he munching on?

Dan

John Lowin
02-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Hi Dan, Thanks for your kind comments. We believe it was a Warthog, although no tusks are visible. We think it was a young animal. However, I'm not the expert, that's what our leader thought. John

Robert Amoruso
02-02-2009, 09:06 PM
John,

I think you handled a difficult shooting situation well. Nice work capturing this action.

John Lowin
02-02-2009, 09:11 PM
Robert,

Thank you, I appreciate your comment. Lots more for me to learn.