PDA

View Full Version : Three Roses

Ed Vatza
02-01-2009, 03:00 PM
This one may be a stretch but I wanted to go with it first. I bought three roses to photograph in my dining room/studio - one lavender, one light pink (almost peachy) and one yellow. After shooting each individually, I ended by bringing all three together and creating a single image combining all three. I am really interested in your thoughts.

Canon 50D; Sigma 150mm Macro lens; Canon 430EX Flash w/LumiQuest Diffuser bracket mounted; Velbon Ultra-Luxis tripod.

2 sec @ f/22; ISO 100; +2/3 EV; FEC -1

Julie Kenward
02-01-2009, 03:23 PM
I love the two lighter ones...they are perfect together. I think with the purple, I want to see less of the front two OOF petals and a slightly larger piece of the back petal so it overlaps the other two roses a bit more. I also think putting it in the frame in a bit more of a diagonal would add even more interest - less at the center and more petal at the outer edge. Make sense?

Very creative, Ed...

Dave Mills
02-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Hi Ed...I agree with Julie's comments. Also the dark purple becomes dominant in this and naturally draws your eye to it. For me personally I would like to see another pastel color replace the purple with Julies placement. Nice to see you experiment with these shapes and colors...

denise ippolito
02-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Ed, I agree w/ Dave another pastel would not draw the eye as much and would have a better flow. I like the asst. colors and think you'll nail this one soon,you're very close!

Ed Vatza
02-02-2009, 05:40 AM
Jules, Dave, Denise,

Thanks for the feedback. I was a bit concerned about the two oof petals in the foreground. I got the focal point where I wanted it (where the colors transitioned) but even at f/22 those two petals in the foreground were more oof than I would have liked.

As for color. I did back off on the saturation here in this re-post. It actually brings the color more in line with the true lavender color of the flower. I am wondering if this helps at all?

Gus Cobos
02-02-2009, 06:28 AM
Hi Ed,
I like the composition as presented, I like the soft pastel colors which compliment and transition into one another' the slightly saturated purple is the anchor point which leads your eye and guides you into the garden; the depth of field is very nice and the focus point as well placed. I like this very much. The texture is pleasing...good show...:cool:

Mike Moats
02-02-2009, 08:47 AM
Hey Ed, I like the different look from the norm, and I think the second post works better.

Ed Vatza
02-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Thanks Gus. Thanks Mike. Appreciate the feedback.

I did accomplish what I set out to do. I viewed the three roses as a smooth. flat pink with a vertical yellow and a horizontal lavender. I was looking for an abstract but with a little geometry to it.

massimomossi
02-03-2009, 09:48 AM
I like this composition--the second post works better than the first, as the hard detail makes a nice contrast with the smoother OOF in the lighter roses. Neat concept--terrific series.

Massimo

Ed Vatza
02-03-2009, 09:57 PM
Thanks Massimo. I appreciate the comments and am glad you like the image. I enjoy bringing them to you on this forum as well as on my blog.

Anita Bower
02-05-2009, 06:20 AM
I like both images, but the second may work a bit better. The colors and composition are just lovely! This image is a teaser, making me want to see more of the roses. It seems you had a vision of what you wanted to achieve, and you achieved it. Good job!!