PDA

View Full Version : Lily Macro

Anita Bower
01-31-2009, 05:39 PM
I haven't been keeping up very well with the forum, but did want to post an image. Taken at Longwood Gardens Conservatory several weeks ago. This is a crop of a macro.
Konica Minolta 5D, 100mm macro, 1/40, f2.8, ISO 100, Manual exposure and focus, WB daylight, tripod, indoors, natural light.

Joseph Martines
01-31-2009, 07:38 PM
A very interesting capture.

I like the color and the diagonals.

I'm trying to visualize the lily!!

Joseph Martines
01-31-2009, 07:40 PM
Anita:

Does Longwood allow tripods?

Anita Bower
02-01-2009, 07:32 AM
Joseph:

I appreciate you comment. I'm not sure myself which part of the flower this is. I think it is the tip of a petal that folds inward.

Longwood does allow tripods. All you do it go to the Information desk to get a permit. They allow them all day, but reserve the right to say "no" if Longwood is too crowded, but this has never happened to me. I believe their tripod policy has changed from what it was some years ago. Enjoy!

Joseph Martines
02-01-2009, 10:29 AM
I wish the botanical gardens could have a universal policy for photographing.

I understand why they don't like tripods. Many photographers use tripods with spikes - a real no - no! Also, they don't want the liability of the public getting hurt/tripping.

Our local is now asking if we are professional photographers or if our camera is a professional camera. Quite ambiguous to say the least.

It would be nice if they set one day a week/ or month aside for photographing.

Thanks for responding.

Julie Kenward
02-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Anita, I love the colors and the flow of this. I think the composition is right on, although this would certainly work as a horizontal as well. I do wish the one curving edge or the knob on the end were just a touch more in focus and I don't think you'll be able to achieve that with sharpening in this case. Now, that's just my personal preference - lots of other people like the really soft edge in a macro like this. For me, though, I'd want a little bit of detail in that front petal to be showing through and letting the rest of the image float in this sea of lemon-lime.

Dave Mills
02-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Joseph...Longwood does allow tripods all day but you must get a permit near where you purchase your ticket.
It used to be for the first 2 hours in the morning only. I get there at 9 when they open and I've never been turned down for a permit.

Mike Moats
02-02-2009, 08:56 AM
Hey Anita, I like the nice soft look and color. I like the DOF.

Anita Bower
02-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Thank you all for your comments.

Jules: Getting something this small in sharp focus is really challenging for me. With my not 20/20 eyesight,and manual focus for macros, and small object, it is hit or miss. I'm dreaming of a new camera with live view which would allow me to enlarge and focus more precisely. :-)

So, I go with the soft look.

Alfred Forns
02-02-2009, 11:55 PM
Hi Anita This is an unusual image to say the least Love simplicity and tones !!! Big Congrats !!!