PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfly on a flower.

Bob Blanchard
01-22-2008, 09:01 PM
Here's another macro I've captured that has had moderate sales, but that I think could be a lot better. I think the BG works, but that another stop would've been better, and the light angle is a bit off for my taste.

Canon 1DsMII, EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro, 1/640, f/6.3, ISO 400
http://CatcherofLight.smugmug.com/photos/161509404-L.jpg

Mark Adkins
01-22-2008, 10:17 PM
I like the head, leg, body detail. I got a bunch of technically nice dragonfly images this summer but the wings were often messed up as in your image. Great BG.

Mark

John Cooper
01-23-2008, 02:04 AM
lovely sharp portrayal of the legs and body of this dragonfly Bob, but the wings can often be a problem with this insect.

Matthew Pugh
01-23-2008, 03:29 PM
Hi
It is a nice composition of this good looking Dragon. Although I would agree that the lighting is a little upon the harsh & directional side of things. The directional aspect perhaps placing more eye emphasis upon the tail and back head areas of the subject, rather than the frontal head areas.
But in this light I think you have controlled this situation well
All the best
Matthew

Mike Moats
01-24-2008, 07:22 AM
Hey Bob, Nice comp. its always tough shooting this subject as the length of the wing span makes it very difficult to bring all of the dragon in focus and blur out the clutter in the BG. As you and Matthew points out the light is slightly on the harsh side. I've used diffusers to help shade the areas in the BG to help soften the light.