PDA

View Full Version : Little Bee Eaters - Masi Mara Triangle

John Lowin
01-31-2009, 04:38 PM
Times New Roman"]This is my first post here. I realized after I shot this image that I had just grabbed the camera and shot, never setting ss or aperture. By the time I made adjustments they were gone. A careless mistake. I also cloned out a leaf and reconstructed the tail. All critiques welcomed. I’m here to learn. Best Regards, John

Canon EOS 1D Mk II
Canon EF 500mm f/4 IS USM
Canon Extender EF 2X II
1,000mm @ 1/80 f/14
ISO 200
Overcast, starting to drizzle
No Flash
Beanbag

Axel Hildebrandt
01-31-2009, 04:39 PM
Welcome to BPN, John! You can use the 'manage attachment' button in the advanced mode to upload your image. Make sure it is not longer than 1024 pixels and below 195kB. Let me know if you need help.

Daniel Cadieux
01-31-2009, 09:33 PM
Welcome to BPN John! Nice first post. Interesting techs, but you realized the mistake yourself so that is a good sign :-) I imagine you reconstructed the lower bird's tail as there is a PP scar still visible there. I kinda wish for more seperation between the two individuals, but what great poses by both!! I like the difference in the eye colour and throat markings...very cool comparision.

Tony Whitehead
01-31-2009, 10:44 PM
Big welcome to BPN, John. Great first post. Love the eye contact and complementary poses. Plumage looks a little oversharpened on my monitor. I might try and blur or smooth out some of the more obvious lines in the BG. Small aperture have given good DOF for the subjects but made the BG detail more obvious than ideal. Looking forward to more of your images.

John Lowin
01-31-2009, 11:11 PM
Thank you all for the very informative comments. What would you suggest as the best method of making a selection of the BKG to blur it? Thanks again.

John Lowin

Ken Watkins
01-31-2009, 11:51 PM
You have a very nice image here interestingly pointing out the differences between an adult and juvenile.

I am not a great technician in Photoshop, but using quick mask would be your best bet.

To understand these techniques I would recommend purchasing

http://www.birdsasart.com/aptats.htm

Tony Whitehead
02-01-2009, 12:49 AM
QM would be my first thought.

John Lowin
02-01-2009, 09:16 AM
Ken and Tony, Thanks for the guidance. I already own the aptats CD and have taken your advice. A significant improvement! Greatly appreciated.