PDA

View Full Version : Life Saving Station, Outer Banks, NC

JB Ellis
01-31-2009, 10:46 AM
I took this shot during the recent Carolina Nature Photographers Association's Mid-year outing and photography contest. Though it looked more dramatic in B/W. Shot at f18, 1/200, FL 25mm, auto WB, ajusted in PS Elements 6.

Dave Mills
01-31-2009, 11:01 AM
Hi..thought the image was a bit underexposed and brought it up using sh&hlts and did a bit of burning and dodging.

JB Ellis
01-31-2009, 12:19 PM
Thanks Dave. I think it is an improvement.

Harold Davis
01-31-2009, 07:06 PM
i like the original a little better. it seems to have more feel to it. more shadows to go along with the highlights which i think is better for B&W. i like the composition, but think a different time of day would get you even better shadows and light to play with.

where on the OBX is this?

Gus Cobos
01-31-2009, 07:53 PM
I like this as presented JB,
this is well composed...also like the feel and mood...well done...:cool:

Roman Kurywczak
02-01-2009, 10:20 AM
Hi JB,
I like the lighter tones of the shadow areas of the sand and building in the re-post ....but it did bring up an interesting dilimma as Harold pointed out.....In Dave's re-post.....we lost a bit of the contrast that makes black and whites different......IMO the tones needs to be strong black all the way to white......but I do think he was on the right track.....as he has a greater tonal range in his. Just a bit more selective dodging and burning will probably achieve the final result.

Nicely composed and well seen.... but a little earlier light would have made the shadow areas in the dunes even more pronounced.....so if the opportunity presents itself....just keep it in mind. I still think this was nicely composed and thought out!

Robert Amoruso
02-02-2009, 06:17 AM
It is well composed with the sloping diagonal of the sand, similar flow in the clouds and I like how the dune looks to be engulfing the house.

I do like some of the details brought out in the house but I would leave the sky as is. There is not detail in the dark gray of the sky so bringing its tonality up only flattens the image.

Local contrast enhancement (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20434) can be used to accentuate the ripples in the sand. May look good on the building too.

JB Ellis
02-02-2009, 09:08 PM
Harold, Sorry it took me so long to answer your question. The Life Saving Station is not to far from Bodie Lighthouse, I think on Kill Devel Hills. Wish I could be more specific but I was touring with outer and did not know my way around.

JB Ellis
02-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Robert, I read your article about local contrast enhancement. Looks like some great tools, but I will need to read it several more times to get it in thick head. I use PS Elements 6 and Lightroom. I believe most of the tools you suggested are available in Lightroom and to a lesser extent in Elements.

Robert Amoruso
02-20-2009, 09:33 PM
JB,

Hope you see this. Unfortunately, I am only using PSCS so my suggestions are based on that.