PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Plover on the Beach

Judd Patterson
01-31-2009, 12:16 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3443/3219405720_ffd3254233_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/juddpatterson/3219405720/)

Snowy Plover
Fort Myers Beach, FL
Canon 40D, 500mm f/4 & 1.4x TC
1/1000, f/6.3, ISO 200

In this bird/habitat image a Snowy Plover (Charadrius alexandrinus tenuirostris) huddles in a depression on the beach during high wind. I was really struck by how well the Cuban subspecies blends into the sand...they are very pale! There was no way to include the feet hidden in the sand, so I went for something else.

Juan Aragonés
01-31-2009, 02:51 AM
I like the result a lot and I do not mind about the feet or the overlaping of the green grass and the reason is very simple, the strongest points of this image are composition and habitat. The blending of the cryptic ploevr with the Bg is fantastic and the most important parts of the bird (eye and bill) are really conspicuoss due to the dark color and the sharpness. The green brass at the left of the image adds a lot of colour and balance to the composition that works really fine. The grass at the right, due to the overlaping, adds deep to the image. I only have asuggestion, try to increase the saturation of the green leaves just a bit. Very good job on this one Judd :-)

Ramon M. Casares
01-31-2009, 02:18 PM
Juan just said it for me, love it all, the grass, the comp, the light, exposre, ambient, detail, all is great IMO. Congratulaitons!

Adams Serra
01-31-2009, 03:16 PM
Hi Judd,
I like it a lot, to be honest with you, I rather have the dreamy look of the OOF FG than seeing the feet.

Adams

Axel Hildebrandt
01-31-2009, 04:35 PM
I like the angle, habitat and eye contact and would prefer if the grass in front of the bird were not there.

Steve Maxson
01-31-2009, 06:05 PM
Hi Judd. You have a nice relaxed-looking bird there. :) The bird is sharp, the exposure is right on, and I like the pano crop you are using here. I also like your inclusion of some habitat. I find some of the dark OOF things in the background distracting - particularly the black "S" just in front of the bird's beak and the blob touching its forehead. These could easily be toned down or removed if you wish.